Sunil's Reviews > The Sandman, Vol. 6: Fables & Reflections

Jun 21, 2012

bookshelves: own, 2006, 2012
Read in May, 2006 , read count: 2

Thoughts on a Re-Read Six Years Later

This is a strange collection in that it includes issues from before the previous volume and after the next volume, but it makes for a much more thematically coherent volume than The Sandman, Vol. 3: Dream Country , with several standout issues. The Convergences issues ("The Hunt," "Soft Places," and "The Parliament of Rooks") all deal with stories and storytellers, one of Gaiman's favorite themes, as well as mine, and the Distant Mirrors issues ("Three Septembers and a January," "Thermidor," "August," and "Ramadan"—all named for months) all deal with historical rulers' encounters with Dream. As on my first read, I wasn't too pulled into the lives of the historical figures, but I did find Gaiman's use of them interesting, and reading some analysis helped me appreciate the points he was trying to make. Scattered about are important plot developments surrounding Dream's son, Orpheus (Gaiman's retelling of "The Song of Orpheus" is a highlight). And with the exception of "Fear of Falling," the art in this volume (each issue by a different artist) is wonderful, especially P. Craig Russell's in "Ramadan." All in all, a stronger collection than I remember.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sandman, Vol. 6.