sarafem's Reviews > The Testament

The Testament by John Grisham

162057
Mar 08, 08

bookshelves: royally-sucked, novels

An overly preachy and hastily written Grisham novel with his typical battle of big money versus the good of heart. I am always drawn to Grisham for a good rainy day read and the premise sounded pretty good, but from page one this one is a waste of time. Too many characters bogged the story down and it dragged on and on, especially when Grisham started getting preachy. By the end of the book, it felt like Grisham had tired of the story himself, and just threw something together to be done with it.

Think of me what you will, but I don't like missionary work, and it bothers me that the protagonist here is painted saintlike (perhaps that is a poor choice of words) because she chose this occupation in order to hide from the world (the idea of God is just an afterthought). Even though I am a Christian, I don't like to assume that my path is the only way to know God, and missionary work feels more selfish than selfless because of this assumption. Go into the jungles and deserts of the world and give out medicine and build houses without trying to put another notch on your belt for Jesus, and instead teach about the goodness we can all do for one another, and then I'll approve of the mission. Until then it's not going to happen, and I was very annoyed with Rachel's character and the way in which she was exalted for what to me were shady motives.

I saw Rachel as no less selfish than the other characters, even if there was a different motivation and product. Even without the let-down of an ending and the overabundance of obnoxious characters, the idea of the missionary as the protagonist in the good-of-heart role would have turned my stomach enough for a poor rating on this book.
12 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Testament.

Abby You are crazy! I thought that it was a great amount of preaching and it was not a waste of time!

Cathy DePaolo I could not agree more. Reading this book was a complete waste if my time.

Cheryl I guess your brand of Christianity doesn't follow the Bible and Jesus' own commands?

Grisham's

Cheryl Sorry - accidentally hit done. Anyway, I disagree with other points of your review. It wasn't hastily written. It required quite a lot of research. While the ending may have seemed like a surprise, it was definitely orchestrated to feel that way.

message 5: by Jane (new)

Jane Clucas This book is just about selfishness & bad parenting & its effects.

message 6: by Mark (new) - rated it 1 star

Mark Rainer This book was worse than cancer.