Hannah Smith's Reviews > Ten Letters: The Stories Americans Tell Their President

Ten Letters by Eli Saslow

F_50x66
Jan 07, 12

Read in December, 2011

Potential to engage students and spark passionate discussion-5
There several points in this book that are important to Americans today. I think this could spark a very passionate discussion, however this book was extremely one sided and sympathized with Obama. It also tried to blame a lot of problems on the Republican party dragging their feet, when this wasn't exactly the case.
Potential to appeal to a wide range of students-4
There was one person in the book that was worried about the cost of college and was working very hard to make ends meet. This could be a story that some of the students have experienced.
Possibilities for classroom use in various departments, including UNI-3
I guess this book could be used in UNI and possibly a civics class. I don't think there are a lot of different classes that could use this book.
Programming Possibilities outside of the classroom-3
I'm not really sure if we could do much more than what was done last year for No Impact Man.
Richness of themes; interdisciplinary in nature-5
Each chapter had a different theme. It talked about health care, unemployment, bankruptcy, and many problems that Americans are facing today.
Relevance to student life-4
I'm not sure how many students will read this book, simply because of the size. I don't think too many students have to worry about unemployment or health care but it might be a relevant concern for some of their family members.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ten Letters.