Marianne's Reviews > Crooked Letter, Crooked Letter

Crooked Letter, Crooked Letter by Tom Franklin

Jan 07, 2012

liked it
Read in December, 2011

In an a botched attempt to escape the crime and forensics-infested primetime television I stumbled on to this book, and found myself in a crime novel. I said the attempt was botched. Really botched, because the crimes in the novel are against women. (Why is that the hip thing to write about right now? Let's do something about it, not glorify it!) However, the characters were compelling enough (and the violence not so gratuitously grotesque)to keep reading to the end.

As you might guess from the title, the setting of story is key and I love books that are about a place. The depiction of post 9/11 rural Mississippi was surprising, as I was well into the book assuming a 1960s setting before I learned otherwise. The title of the book is what attracted me to it. For those of you who weren't raised in the south (or are from the other side of Texas like my husband) kids are often taught to spell Mississippi with this little ditty, "m-i-crooked letter-crooked letter-i-crooked letter-crooked letter-i-humpback-humpback i."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Crooked Letter, Crooked Letter.