Angie's Reviews > Year of Wonders

Year of Wonders by Geraldine  Brooks

May 18, 12

Recommended to Angie by: Diana
Read from May 03 to 09, 2012

As a child of 11, I visited Eyam in Derbyshire for a 3 week long holiday staying in a 15th Century farmhouse. If the house wasn't creepy enough, the history of the 'Plague village' and its brave inhabitants totally fired up my imagination and I haven't forgotten the impression this made on me and my sisters and brother. I remember seeing the well, a crude stone with holes in it which was the furthest point the villagers could go to and where they left notes, money and requests for basic necessities from outsiders who left food and medicines in return.

This book by Geraldine Brooks is a very engrossing read. Told in the first person by Anna Frith, a young shepherdess who has been widowed at the age of 18 and left with two small children to support. Her work leads her to the parsonage where the minister Mompellion (Mompesson in real life) is about to prove his worth when the plague hits the small village with great force and deadly wildfire.

Although fictional, I felt that Brooks really was able to bring across the full horror of the plight in all its gory manifestations and the desperation inflicted on the close community.

The ending was unexpected but despite this I did empathise with Anna and her story has stayed with me since. I would also recommend if you are ever in Derbyshire, paying a visit to this haunting little village where time seems to have stood still (the medieval church and village green complete with stocks still exists). At the end of the story Anna wonders if they will be forgotten in generations to come but a visit to the village now further reinforced by this book, proves this emphatically not to be the case.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Year of Wonders.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Diana "Year of Wonders" stayed with me a long time after reading it, I hope you're enjoying it too.