Michele at A Belle's Tales's Reviews > Ascend

Ascend by Amanda Hocking

Jan 07, 2012

Read from April 29 to 30, 2012

This is a difficult review to write. Not because I’m at a loss for words - because I have too many! I’m about to burst at the seams needing to vent to someone about everything that went down in the final installment of The Trylle Trilogy. What are you trying to do to me, Amanda Hocking? How am I going to express any of my opinions here without giving anything away from the book? I suppose I will stick to safe topics, and this review may go down as one of the shortest in my little blogging history.

Normally, I like to gush about the yummy male characters, but I think I did enough of that in my last two reviews. I’m actually excited to talk about Wendy this time. I’ve had definite issues with her in the last two books, but talk about character development! Wendy really grew into a likeable heroine who worked hard to earn the respect of not only her peers, but the respect of the readers. She showed strength and compassion in Ascend, and, while I didn’t agree with everything she did or certain choices she made, I am very pleased with how Wendy matured and the young woman she grew into. She’s no Remy, but she definitely wins most improved.

Another shocker was that I, albeit begrudgingly, changed my opinion about Elora. Oh, I fought it, believe me... but, when all was revealed, I certainly saw things from a different point of view.

I will miss these characters, and, even though it ended a lot differently than I would have thought, I enjoyed everyone’s happily-ever-after. The glimpse into their future lives was very satisfying and gave some closure no matter what “team” you were on. I will hold out hope that Finn will get his own book one day - he is not a character that I am ready to say goodbye to.

**“‘It’s what’s best for you.’ He paused. ‘But I want you for myself, too.’”**

**“‘Tomorrow, you will belong to someone else. But tonight, you’re with me.’”**

**“‘Can’t we just sit here and look longingly into each other’s eyes until we fall into each other’s arms, kissing passionately?’”**

**“‘Everything I went through,’ he said. ‘For you. It was worth it.’”**

**“‘I don't want only one night. I want all the nights. I want all of you, forever.’”

Review originally posted at: A Belle's Tales

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ascend.