Ariel's Reviews > Night Child

Night Child by Jes Battis

Jan 07, 12

bookshelves: 2012, mystery-thriller-suspense, speculative-fiction
Read in January, 2012

Pretty decent for a first novel. I was inclined to enjoy it; because, I love the genre. Much of the plotting felt a little clunky/forced but I mostly enjoyed the world building and appreciated the somewhat diverse cast. I definitely want to know more about how this world works. I did feel that Tess' powers were some of the least defined in the book. Apparently she was an earth mage but I didn't feel like that was explored as much as it could have been and I didn't understand if the aura reading was tied to that, something she had randomly, or something all mages possess. Also, for a series I was wondering how the "losing power as you age" idea was going to work out (as usually these series tend to ramp up and get more and more epic), even though it was a cool idea. The sexy bad boy interest actually felt titillating instead of lame, which gives it one up on some other books I tried last year and the whole stillbirth = necromancer origin was creepy without being heavyhanded. In other words, I will definitely read the next one.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Night Child.