Abby's Reviews > Marked

F_50x66
Jan 07, 12

bookshelves: fantasy, ridiculous-plots
Read in January, 2012

This book is terrible. In its defense, it's not offensively terrible, and it has a certain "so bad it's good" amusement level, but there's something very immature about the whole thing, as though it were written by a sixteen-year-old instead of simply starring one.

All of the characters behave in an extraordinarily melodramatic fashion, making most of them come off as cartoonish caricatures, an impression not helped by the sheer silliness of some aspects of Horizon. All dialogue is riddled with unnecessary italics, slipping into all-caps when italics are no longer emphatic enough.

Once past her initial wave of confusion and disbelief, Kara's desire to return to her mortal life seems arbitrary and lacking any real emotional drive, especially considering the reader is never provided more than the briefest insight into what her life was like before she was hit by the bus to begin with. Her relationship with her mother is only barely addressed; Kara mentions wanting to see her mother again in roughly the same terms she mentions wishing she could have a slice of pizza, and a mid-book revelation regarding her mother which seems as though it should be, and presumably was meant to be, critical to the revelations of the book's final act is treated as an item of curiosity and then summarily forgotten.

And then of course there's the climactic revelation itself, which could have been carried off more or less successfully if the book as a whole were better-written, but as it is it fails to impress and simply comes off as cheap.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Marked.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Annie Yeah it is pretty juvenile and cheap, but if I were a 7-8 year old or a child, I wouldn't care because it's a fun paranormal kids book. Kids don't really care about that same stuff we do, because for a majority of them, it's just something to read. I do agree with your assessment but feel that one star is a bit harsh. It was a free book geared towards a younger audience. :)

message 2: by Abby (new) - rated it 1 star

Abby Annie wrote: "Yeah it is pretty juvenile and cheap, but if I were a 7-8 year old or a child, I wouldn't care because it's a fun paranormal kids book. Kids don't really care about that same stuff we do, because ..."

It's true that younger readers aren't as likely to notice or care about issues regarding characterization and plot, but excusing genuinely bad writing as "just something for kids to read" doesn't seem like a very good way to encourage them to enjoy and keep on reading... particularly since my impression was that this book is aimed more at a tween or young teen audience rather than ages 7-8 or under. There are too many genuinely well-written fantasy books for young readers out there to settle for something like this.