January's Reviews > The Picture

The Picture by Stephanie   Taylor

Jan 16, 12

Read from January 07 to 16, 2012

Sophie is a hospice nurse who usually doesn’t get involved with her patients past a certain point. Don’t get me wrong, she is very good at what she does and she has pure motives — she genuinely wants to help them to deal with every aspect of what they’re going through. But when she meets Emily, she breaks her own rules. Emily’s always up-beat, always smiling outlook on life draws Sophie like an irresistible force. So, it is understandable that when Emily’s time comes, Sophie reels emotionally and has to go through the grieving process of losing a close friend.

But she also made a promise to Emily. A promise to deliver a picture to Nicholas, a disenchanted rock star struggling to make sense of Emily’s death and deal with his own grief over the loss. She does deliver the picture, but not before she finds more than she bargained for in Nicholas’s company. Nicholas is understandably upset about the photograph, and Sophie leaves, certain she’ll never see him again. But she was wrong, and a snowstorm finds them snowed in at her apartment for several days.

Just when she starts to think love is possible, his track record with women and her hidden past threaten to destroy what might have been.

Warning: You’re gonna cry. I teared up in three different parts and I can usually control my emotions like an ice queen. This story was amazing. I loved the characters and could feel Sophie’s roller coaster of emotions throughout. Her love and grief, her confusion and her anger. She is the epitome of a woman trying to hide all her pain from the world around her, but finds it all spills over at the most inopportune moments.

Nicholas was a gentleman and not arrogant or possessing of a sense of entitlement. Nothing like what you’d expect a rock star to be. Which I loved, because I’m not particularly fond of vanity in a hero.

I don’t want to ruin the story for you, so I won’t reveal too much, but there were several surprises in the plot that I was definitely NOT expecting, making it all the more enjoyable for me.

At this point in the review I usually say, “With that said,…” and tell you about something that could have been improved. But, honestly, although it wasn’t perfect, I have NO complaints. I loved every bit of the story. The author thoroughly developed the plot from beginning to end. I’m amazed.

I read the whole thing in one sitting. I could NOT put it down. And I don’t say this lightly. I’m not a particularly fast reader, but this was worth my time and made me want to check out all of Stephanie Taylor’s other titles. If I thought I could get away with it, I’d call in sick the rest of the week and just read her books.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Picture.