Rebecca Alora's Reviews > The Future of Us

3020605
Jan 07, 12

bookshelves: books-i-own, books-read-in-2012
Read on January 07, 2012

Well...I'll have to say that it has been a damn long time since a book has gotten me this enthralled and twisted up. I literally sat and read this thing in a little over two hours. I literally could not put this book down for anything but my best friend, who I chatted to for a about a hour, and even then I was itching to get back to it.

The premise of this book has been loosely done in other formats, such as someone reliving a day over and over to change the future, but never exactly this way. First of all, the trajectory of the intended change is fifteen years into the future. Add onto that the protagonists, Josh and Emma, find out about the changes in their future a la a "magical" AOL disc that not only connects them to facebook approximately six or seven years before the actual site was invented, but into Emma's account fifteen years into the future.

This book really makes you think in the sense that, if it's right, eveerything in life can be changed. The book even suggests through several events that the decisions you make your mind up about such as "I will never live in Georgia again" can change your entire future, even if you made them when you were eight! Not that this happened in the book, but it was a concept that was brought to mind. This book isn't just light reading, though it certainly can be thought of as such because it is YA literature, it's also a bit of a mindf***. I mean seriously? What would you do if you had the access to the future that Emma had?

I loved the characters of Emma and Josh. The writers were smart about their characterisation. Smart as in they let the characters define themself by their actions. They also kind of bucked the odds in how they characterised the characters. Josh was very much so more the stereotypically feminine personality in terms of how he viewed relationships and Emma was a bit more stereotypically male. I also loved that who the characters ended up with? There was NO INSTA LOVE!!!! There were crushes, but all the relationships in this book were strikingly realistic.

All in all I just think this was an excellent read. I didn't really have any problems with it and I'll definitely be keeping it for my shelves.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Future of Us.

01/07/2012 page 119
33.0% "freaking love this book!!!!!!"