Pallavi's Reviews > The Code Book: The Science of Secrecy from Ancient Egypt to Quantum Cryptography

The Code Book by Simon Singh

Jan 12, 2012

Read from January 07 to 12, 2012 — I own a copy

I never thought I'd love a book about mathematics, or ever see the beauty of mathematics. My mother was definitely right when she kept pestering me to work harder on my math and argued that it was EVERYWHERE! (I had argued back saying I would be fine as long as I could perform the basic calculations!)
Maybe this is what growing up is about!
That being said, this is a very informative book about the past, present and future of cryptography. Singh takes us on a journey from ancient times where simple communications and hence simple codes sufficed, through a series of unfortunate events that resulted in the execution of Mary, Queen of Scots,to a time in the future when quantum cryptography might prevail. My favorite part is when he talks about the decipherment of Linear B (which led me to another amazing book of the same name), an ancient language discovered in the remains of a palace in Crete. Oh, and he also makes the Second World War seem interesting in an entirely differently way.
Singh has a knack for explaining ideas and theories, which might seem mundane if explained by someone else, in a very interesting manner. His use of characters called Alice,Bob and Eve to explain the codes, made it easy for a layperson like me to understand the theory behind them.
He even adds a few ciphers for us to decipher at the end. I must admit I skipped over those pages, but might return to them at some point in the future.
I recommend this book to anyone who is fascinated by ancient history, linguistics, cryptography, quantum physics, OR MATHEMATICS!
5 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Code Book.

01/10/2012 page 169
01/10/2012 page 169
39.0% "This book is taking a little more effort, mainly because of my shortcomings in mathematics."

message 1: by Dolly (new)

Dolly Totally makes me wanna read it...next on my list...great job with the review!

message 2: by Kshitija (new)

Kshitija I have never read such books, maybe I should also give it a try.

Pallavi Kw wrote: "I have never read such books, maybe I should also give it a try."

It definitely is a very well written book. I would never have imagined reading non-fiction books, but now I am knee-deep in this genre.

message 4: by Kshitija (new)

Kshitija Where did u get the copy of this book? do u have it on lendme?