Dave McNeely's Reviews > Just Love: A Framework for Christian Sexual Ethics

Just Love by Margaret Farley

Jan 07, 12

Farley's framework is systematic and reconciles the much-needed ethic of justice to understanding healthy relationships. However, Farley's efforts at making this a "Christian" ethic stray too far afield from Christian theology to claim that label with much support. Her ethical framework still may yet overlap with a Christian one, but it is difficult to tell how her approach is uniquely and explicilty Christian.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Just Love.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Shanna (new)

Shanna Hi Dave, I'm not sure if you are the same one who just presented at Children, Youth and a New Kind of Christianity. If you are, I would love to be directed to more on the issue that you spoke on.

Thanks,
Shanna

Dave McNeely Shanna, so nice to hear from you! I am indeed the same Dave McNeely who sped through the presentation on sexuality at CYNKC. In fact, one of the reasons why I've been studying the topic of sexuality is that I have not found one single book that would be my go-to recommendation for college students and/or young adults regarding sexuality. In my reading, I've come across a number that have really influenced me, though, so here are a few:
Lauren Winner's Real Sex is my personal favorite right now. She attempts to revive the Christian practice of chastity and makes a pretty compelling case.
Christopher West is the de facto evangelist of Pope John Paul II's Theology of the Body, a gateway to Catholic understanding of sexuality. His most recent work, At the Heart of the Gospel: Reclaiming the Body for the New Evangelization, is a good introduction to this perspective.
For a more biblical approach, a really intriguing read is Jennifer Wright Knust's Unprotected Texts: The Bible's Surprising Contradictions About Sex and Desire. The book is a little uneven at times and she attempts to present biblical difficulties more than resolve them, but she raises really important questions about our texts and how we use them.
Finally, Stanley Hauerwas and Wendell Berry have influenced me profoundly, even though they don't have any specific books on the subject. Some of Hauerwas's writings include the articles "Sex in Public: How Adventurous Christians Are Doing It" and "The Radical Hope in the Annunciation: Why Both Single and Married Christians Welcome Children" and "The Politics of Sex: How Marriage is a Subversive Act." With Berry, I've benefited from the work of his interpreters, such as Travis Kroeker and Matthew Bonzo and Michael Stevens.
Well, I could go on forever, and I hope I haven't gone too long already! Hope this helps!