Kalynn's Reviews > Angels of Darkness

Angels of Darkness by Ilona Andrews

1913532
Jan 07, 2012

Read on January 07, 2012

I really enjoyed this anthology. All of the stories were very different, but I did find something to like about each one. Three of the four authors were familiar to me and are among my favorites, while Sharon Shinn is a new discovery. My brief take on each story follows:

Angel's Wolf by Nalini Singh- I love Nalini Singh's writing, and I enjoyed the story, but it tried to do too much in the short format. The mystery plot of this story has a resolution that I'm not even sure makes sense. It certainly does not seem to fit the logic of the story. The love story between damaged vampire Noel and the angel Nimra, however, is very well done and beautifully written. 3.5 stars.

Alphas: Orgins by Illona Andrews- This was a really cool introduction to a new world with a very compelling story of a mother who finds her own power in tough circumstances. Some of the mythology is still a little vague, but I really hope that Illona and Gordon come back to play in the Alphas universe at some point. Their world building is just awesome, and I think they have some interesting things going on here. I did feel that the hints of romance in the story were a little forced and didn't seem organic, and later I read that this was actually the case and was a result of editorial needs. I believe a romance could develop between the two leads, but it felt too soon in the context of this story. 4 stars.

Nocturne by Sharon Shinn- This was my first Sharon Shinn story, and I think it has convinced me to try one of her novels. The story of a woman on the run and a damaged angel is simple and well told. The descriptions are gorgeous, and the characters are well drawn. It also was well paced for the short format, focusing on one plot. 3.5 stars.

Ascension- The anthology ends on a high note, because Meljean Brook is so freaking good at writing these novella length stories. I loved this story about a romance between 2 guardians looking into a troubled town. The pacing is perfect. The only reason I'm not giving it five stars is that the central problem relies slightly on a misunderstanding that feels a little contrived. The issues, themselves seem real, but the 150 year old misunderstanding sounds a rare false note. Despite this fact, this is my favorite story of the bunch. 4.5 stars

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Angels of Darkness.

01/07/2012 page 266