Jake Last's Reviews > The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes

7332028
Feb 24, 12

bookshelves: favorites
Read from February 18 to 24, 2012

Unfortunately, I’ve never given Sir Arthur Conan Doyle a real chance before I began this book, apart from studying one or two of his works at school. I didn’t enjoy reading these stories at school for the pure reason that it was forced upon me and I didn’t read it through choice.

I was pleasantly surprised when I saw that this book included “The Speckled Band”, seeing as it was one of the short stories I had studied at school, but completely forgot about. Not only was it surprising to see it included in this collection, but I was surprised at how much I enjoyed it the second time round. It may have something to do with the fact that I had an inkling of the result, and I appreciated the build up to it this time round.

So this being my first, real introduction to the literary genius that is Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, I can happily say that I was blown away. Considering how old these stories are, a lot of people could pick it up today and appreciate the way the stories have been written. I was really impressed by the skill in which these short stories were written, and it has definitely caused me to want to read more of his works.

Sherlock Holmes is obviously the most famous detective in the literary world, and rightly so. Sherlock Holmes is a perfect protagonist. He clearly has his flaws, but behind them is a mind that can deduce the minutest facts to create the strongest theory. His wit and dedication to figuring out the mysteries brought forward to him make him an enjoyable and noble character to read about. There is also a lovely relationship between Holmes and Watson which is not only professional but also personal. Watson is pretty much the soundboard for Holmes and tries his best to be of assistance whenever it is possible.

Everyone has heard of Sherlock Holmes and reading these stories, I have realised why he is as popular as he is. I wish a lot of the young adults in today’s society would read these short stories and realise what a great role model Sherlock Holmes is.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes.

02/18/2012 page 31
show 8 hidden updates…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Karen (new)

Karen Did you watch Sherlock on BBC1? That was my influence for picking up this book!

Jake Last Unfortunately not! I've heard such good things, so I probably will give it a crack after I finish this book. Have you started reading/read it yet?

message 3: by Karen (new)

Karen I would definitely recommend, I'm obsessed! I think I'm reading a slightly different version, but yeah I'm about half way through. Are you enjoying it?

Jake Last Yeah, I literally just read the first short story! It's just so cleverly written!