Kat's Reviews > In the Middle of Almost and Other Stories

In the Middle of Almost and Other Stories by S.B. Lerner

Feb 11, 2012

bookshelves: short-stories, 2012-read
Read on January 21, 2012

In the Middle of Almost is a collection of short stories about women and their experiences in meeting men, whether randomly or by design. Without giving too much away, there are stories of love that can never be, realization of the importance of freedom, not settling for Mr. Right Now and conflicts between safety and excitement. There is also an excerpt from the novel A Familiar Stranger and two short-story memoirs focused on family, and in particular, parent-child relationships.

All the stories are beautifully written (some in first person POV, others in the third-person), and although it is difficult to bring characters fully to life in a short story, all the characters are individual and their personalities shine through. Whether I agreed with the choices the characters made or not, I still felt a connection with each and every one of them.

I really enjoyed all the stories, especially Out on a Ledge where I felt a particular affinity to Jessica and her story which was both touching and bittersweet.

If you’re looking for a short story collection that is well-written, engaging and thought-provoking, you should really pick up a copy of In the Middle of Almost and Other Stories – I highly recommend it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read In the Middle of Almost and Other Stories.