Stella ☢FAYZ☢ Chen's Reviews > The Absent Author

The Absent Author by Ron Roy

Jan 07, 12

Read in January, 2004

Holy mother load of childhood memories. These books, along side Cam Jansen, became my childhood. I was known as The Girl Who Loves Mystery Books at my school library. Yep. I was that cool. (Still am).

I am only going to review the first in this series because you guys probably wouldn't want 26 "OMG I LOVED THESE BOOKS" reviews.
And, "A" stands for Awesome so how fitting.

Calling children everywhere. If you want to be like Stella Chen one day, start reading these books because you will not regret it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Absent Author.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Inoli Nothing like instilling a little curiosity. I just picked up the first three A to Z Mysteries at the library and requested the first two Cam Jansens. I really want to see what they're like myself but I'm also looking for a couple things to capture the imagination of a couple girls who are not really avid readers at all. Most of what I come across is a little beyond what they need at this point. And, hey, after all, being like Stella Chen one day sounds like it may be a very respectable ambition.

This has to be one of my favorite reviews.

Stella  ☢FAYZ☢ Chen Haha, thank you so much! I've never gotten such high praise. :)

As for some recommendations, how old are the girls?
I'll recommend some of Angie Sage's books. The Septimus Heap series are great for young children who like magic.

Another great one are the Charlie Bone series by Jenny Nimmo. It's almost like Harry Potter for younger audiences.

Those two suggestions are more for kids beyond the age of 8 or 9, I would say.

As for even younger readers, Sideways Stories from Wayside School is a really funny book that takes place in a school. The familiar setting won't overwhelm the girls, as the two previous suggestions might.

Last one I'll give for today are the Magic Treehouse series. I don't know if the girls have tried them since they are quite famous, but I really enjoyed them while I was a kid. The books are very exciting and take the readers to many places around the world, through different time periods. I am proud to say that I stayed with these books all the way up to when I turned 10 or 11.

Well, those are some of the books I loved when I was a child. Feel free to ask me for more because I am happy to help! :D I love shoaring my obsession with everyone else. :)

Stella  ☢FAYZ☢ Chen Oh also, try some Roald Dahl. I was lucky enough that my grade 4 teacher gave eveyone a book with our report cards. He gave me The Magic Finger by Roald Dahl and I am greatful for that book up to this day.

Inoli Fantastic. Thank you. There's actually two sets of sisters. The sisters I don't have a problem with are 5, 8 and 11 (pretty sure). Their mom and I have shared a lot of books. She read to her daughters until they were old enough to read for themselves. Merritt (mom), her 8 year old, her 11 year old and myself have shared a bunch of the same titles. The 8 year old is a very avid reader, beyond her years, and has already written stories herself. Your first two suggestions sound like they might be perfect for all of us and I'm anxious for them myself.

The two I'm trying to influence, without ruining it by pushing too much, are 7 and 11 and their reading interests seem to be primarily Junie B. Jones. The Wayside School series sounds like it might be perfect. I've requested the first couple of those from the library and I've requested the Raold Dahl. I've read The Witches and wasn't sure about that one but the Magic Finger has a younger Lexile rating. I've been kinda evaluating the Lexile rating system lately.

Thanks so much. I'll keep you posted. This is pretty much a long term thing since I'm limited to conversation about how much I like the books and suggesting them. They pretty much have to make the moves to read them. I'm considering trying reading to them. That would be a big first for me, lol.

Stella  ☢FAYZ☢ Chen Firstly, you should difinitely read to children. My parents read to me when I was a children and I loved it :D. When I got older, I started to listen to audiobooks and it I can finish an audiobook in 2 or 3 days versus me reading the same novel which would have taken me at least a week.

Secondly, wow. You just introduced me to Lexile! Heehee. I never knew such a thing existed. I guess we all know who lives under a rock for her whole life. :P

Lastly, it's good to hear an 8 year old is passinate about books! Serveral stories already, huh? I await the day she gets published. :)

Inoli If I had children I probably would have been reading to them before they were old enough to even talk. Being friends with these children kinda just happened out the blue and it's still a pretty new thing for me. But, yeah, I think reading to them might be fun if they enjoy it.

I still haven't gotten into audio books or ebooks. Audio books especially worry me as I'm afraid of the interpretation by the reader. I don't even like to have real pictures of characters on the cover, like on movie tie-ins. I like to get the pictures in my head on my own and interpret voice inflection and mood and things on my own. If I start doing ebooks I'll probably still buy the hardcopy books too - simply because I like the physical book. I guess I change slowly. Kinda weird for computer and programming nerd.

I came across Lexile on Barnes & Noble's website, I believe. I looked at it more closely on the Lexile website recently when I realized I was going to need a little help making sure of reading level for Emily and Margaret.

Yeah, Hayden's a trip at 8 years old. I buy her books that I think will challenge her a little and she doesn't shy away from anything. I'm always surprised at all the things she's read. She has a friend who's an avid reader too so they even have that peer thing going and share books. It's really exciting. She reads the books I buy for her older sister too. Such a trip.

Stella  ☢FAYZ☢ Chen I cannot agree with yoou more on preferring the actual book rather than an ebook. I love the feeling of actually owning the book. If I buy an eBook, it seems like I don't actually possess the book. Plus, I need a physical book so I can cubble with it. :P eBooks can't do that.

Again, I cannot agree with you more on the book cover "issue". Book models ruin books for me. A cool design and font is more likely to grab my attention as opposed to some "gorgeous" model. Books spark our imagination. Why take apart that by putting someone's face on the cover. Current YA novels have a crazy amount of headshots for their covers. I guess we are old-school. :P