bsc's Reviews > Lucifer's Hammer

Jun 28, 2008

liked it
bookshelves: fiction, read-2008, science-fiction
Read in July, 2008

Starts slow and ends slow, but the middle is pretty good. Too many characters and a bit too long, but it made for an enjoyable audio book even though the narrator was pretty horrible.

I'm not sure that civilization would collapse so fast or so hard (at least I hope not), but what Niven and Pournelle describe is plausible and quite scary.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lucifer's Hammer.

Michael When you're pulling for the asteroid to slam into the Earth and just kill everyone already, you know something's wrong with a book...

message 2: by bsc (new) - rated it 3 stars

bsc Exactly. They just kept introducing more and more characters and I was like, can the comet please hurry and kill some of these people so there's some hope I can keep up with everyone??

Michael The most compelling character in the first half of the book is the asteroid. LOL

message 4: by Sandi (new) - added it

Sandi You guys are too funny. I haven't read this book. I got a copy of "The Gripping Hand" signed by Jerry Pournelle (or was it Larry Niven?) when I was in college. I've tried to read it about three times and haven't made it past the second chapter. Needless to say, I'm very reluctant to try anything else by this duo.

Terence If you're going to read anything about the Moties, start with "The Mote in God's Eye"; "The Gripping Hand" was a disappointing sequel.

I gave up on Niven and Pournelle twenty years ago or so. Niven's early stuff (Ringworld, Protector, Known Space, Draco Tavern) is still enjoyable. Not much on character but the science is good (even if most of it's outdated by now).

Michael Sandi--I can see how one could give up on this book. I read it for a book club and kept hoping it'd get better. That and once I got halfway through, I figured I'd come this far, might as well grin and bear it to the end.

This ranks as one of my least favorite books I've read. It's that book that is the basis for comparison in "Well, it wasn't as bad as Lucifer's Hammer."

Richard My favorite part of the beginning of the book was the surfers.