B0nnie's Reviews > Can You Forgive Her?

Can You Forgive Her? by Anthony Trollope

Nov 28, 12

Read from November 06 to 27, 2012

Can You Forgive Her?

The author addresses us directly before we even begin reading. Forgive whom and for what? There is an unspoken suggestion in the question that you ought to forgive her. I've always been vaguely intrigued by the title of this novel. Why did I wait so long to read it? It's delightful, a sort of cross between Dickens and Jane Austen.

There's an Alice Munro story called "Hateship, Friendship, Courtship, Loveship, Marriage". It could be the title of this book too. Or a plot outline. The main characters, three woman and six men, do not add up - there will be some hateship from those left standing before this musical chairs of a courtship is resolved.

This book is written in the third person, but the writer comes in every now and then and has a remark for us,
I am not going to describe the Vavasors' Swiss tour. It would not be fair on my readers. "Six Weeks in the Bernese Oberland, by party of three," would have but very small chance of success in the literary world at present, and I should consider myself to be dishonest if I attempt to palm off such matter on the public in the pages of a novel. It is true that I have just returned from Switzerland, and should find such a course of writing very convenient. But I dismiss the temptation, strong as it is. Retro age, Satanas.

Can you Forgive Her? is the first of the six novels in "the Palliser cycle". The BBC made it into a mini series. I've watched several episodes and, like most BBC dramas, it's very good - but not nearly as good as the book.

description
My pretty dress is binding!

description
No, I do NOT hunt vampires.

description
Yoga adjustments are so difficult in these clothes!

description
But darling, I tell you Bob Ross did not paint those mountains!

Can You Forgive Her? was first published in monthly installments in 1864-1865 and then in book form in two volumes. These were illustrated by Phiz and another lesser known artist, E. Taylor.

Here are a few of the illustrations:

description
I'm as round as your hat and as square as your elbow I am

description
Baker you must put Dandy in the bar

description
The most self-willed young woman I ever met in my life

Burgo Fitzgerald

Friendships will not come by ordering said Lady Glencora

Alice

description
Oh George, she said, you won't do that

Trollope's writing method really bugged his contemporaries. He revealed in his autobiography that he wrote 1000 words an hour, on a strict schedule. What a money grubber, thought Henry James.

Can you forgive him?

25 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Can You Forgive Her?.

Quotes B0nnie Liked

Anthony Trollope
“She was as one who, in madness, was resolute to throw herself from a precipice, but to whom some remnant of sanity remained which forced her to seek those who would save her from herself.”

Anthony Trollope
“And then she began to think about Lady Glencora herself. What a strange, weird nature she was,—with her round blue eyes and wavy hair, looking sometimes like a child and sometimes almost like an old woman! And how she talked! What things she said, and what terrible forebodings she uttered of stranger things that she meant to say!”

Anthony Trollope
“If he was dull as a statesman he was more dull in private life, and it may be imagined that such a woman as his wife would find some difficulty in making his society the source of her happiness. Their marriage, in a point of view regarding business, had been a complete success,—and a success, too, when on the one side, that of Lady Glencora, there had been terrible dangers of shipwreck, and when on his side also there had been some little fears of a mishap.”

Anthony Trollope
“Oh, that that old man in Westmoreland would die and be gathered to his fathers, now that he was full of years and ripe for the sickle! But there was no sign of death about the old man.”
Anthony Trollope, Can You Forgive Her?

David No way! Are you doing the Pallisers? I have two more to go! But it's taking me forever...

B0nnie Yes...if I can take forever too. At least I'll get the first one finished for 2012. I'm loving it so far.

David They are great. The most recent one I read, Phineas Redux, was mildly disappointing but hoping for great things from The Duke's Children or The Prime Minister (whichever is next)....when I get around to it!

message 4: by Hatef (new)

Hatef Mokhtar Dear Respected
I would like to request a review for my latest book release The Red Wrath - A Journey between Two Destinies. You will find the other reviews in following sites:
Please kindly let me know. Thank you.
Regards,
Hatef

David Hi Hatef! I've not read your book I'm afraid. Is it similar to Trollope's "Can you forgive her?"

B0nnie lol, David it must be similar! why else would he mention it here?

David I can't forgive Henry James for "What Maisie Knew"...

message 8: by Michael (new)

Michael That's a JSCOMNL (Just Snorted Coffee Out My Nose Laughing).

Thanks for making a dark morning so much lighter. Such a piece of art.

What goes into your mind comes back out in such a twisted vision. Wonder what you could do to make Poldark a riot.

message 9: by Sean (new) - added it

Sean Great review. I am just getting into Trollope.

message 10: by Miriam (new)

Miriam My pretty dress is binding!

I'm sure every actress in an historical drama has had that thought.

message 11: by Judy (new)

Judy A cross between Dickens and Jane Austen? I am trying to imagine that. I might have to wait until next life time to read Trollop. Thank you for reading it and telling us about it.

message 12: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne Just love the photo captions. Been meaning to read Trollope forever, had no idea it might be so entertaining. 1000 words an hour! Mr. T would have been good at NaNoWriMo, yes?

B0nnie David wrote: "I can't forgive Henry James for "What Maisie Knew"..."

But... I wanted to read that some day!

B0nnie Michael wrote: "That's a JSCOMNL (Just Snorted Coffee Out My Nose Laughing).

Thanks for making a dark morning so much lighter. Such a piece of art.

What goes into your mind comes back out in such a twisted ..."

Thanks Michael. It's always great to have a laugh. I have never read or watched Poldark. Is it good?

B0nnie Sean wrote: "Great review. I am just getting into Trollope."

Thanks Sean. It's the beginning for me as well. I hope Trollope continues to be this good.

B0nnie Miriam wrote: "My pretty dress is binding!

I'm sure every actress in an historical drama has had that thought."

Yes the things they go through - imagine having to really dress like that all the time...

B0nnie Judy wrote: "A cross between Dickens and Jane Austen? I am trying to imagine that. I might have to wait until next life time to read Trollop. Thank you for reading it and telling us about it."

Trollope has the wit and humour of Dickens, but he's also biting in that quiet way that Austen has. Then there's the marriage plot, central to this story and well, all of Austen. I can't believe I've never read him until now. But so many books, so little time. I guess we need a to-read-in-the-next-life shelf!

B0nnie Suzanne wrote: "Just love the photo captions. Been meaning to read Trollope forever, had no idea it might be so entertaining. 1000 words an hour! Mr. T would have been good at NaNoWriMo, yes?"

Thanks Suzanne, ha ha, Mr. T and a 1000 words an hour brought this to mind: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eisa5A...