Jess's Reviews > It's in His Kiss

bookshelves: historical, for_review
Read from January 06 to 07, 2012

Review posted: Happily Ever After - Reads
Blog Rating: 4.5/5

Lady Danbury’s grandson was none other than the notorious Gareth St. Clair. Although it probably wasn’t entirely his fault that he had gained such a wicked reputation, Hyacinth reflected. There were plenty of other men who behaved with equal lack of propriety, and more than a few who were as handsome as sin, but Gareth St. Clair was the only one who managed to combine the two to such success.

But his reputation was abominable.

Charming is the best way to describe Hyacinth. I’ve laughed and enjoyed her scenes in all the previous books in the Bridgerton series. She says exactly what she means, doesn’t conform to the usual mold when it comes to young ladies in London. She attends each season, she does want to be married and have a family but no one suitable has proposed. Hyacinth must always know what she’s doing and talking about. She doesn’t come off as a know it all, but she doesn’t like to find herself in strange, unfamiliar situations. So when men who might challenge her and match wits with her express any interest, she pushes them away and finds any reason at all why they wouldn’t suit.

Gareth grew up with a father who didn’t love him, because he wasn’t his father, but kept up the appearance of being so. He called Gareth stupid, never encouraged him and made it his goal to leave Gareth in complete debt once he took over his title. When a diary from his Grandmother comes into his possession, he needs help translating it from Italian and with a little help from his match making other Grandmother, Hyacinth takes on the task with relish. She loves have a project or mystery to solve and nothing is more exciting to her than having an adventure. The diary translation turns into a hunt for hidden jewels and her adventures increase over the coming days as she takes Gareth along for the ride.

“Your maid is discreet?” Gareth asked, just as soon as he and Hyacinth were standing on the pavement outside of Number Five.

“Oh, don’t worry about Frances,” Hyacinth said, adjusting her gloves. “She and I have an understanding.”

He lifted his brows in an expression of lazy humor. “Why do those words, coming from your lips, strike terror in my soul?”

Gareth initially lets his not-father influence his decisions and finds himself taken right back to being a young man in his presence, never able to stand up to him as an adult. After his father makes mention that he could never land a woman like Hyacinth, he sets out to prove him wrong, but quickly realizes that he’s with Hyacinth for many, many more reasons than just to prove his mean father wrong. The diary also finally gives Gareth the closure he needed when it details out just who his real father is.

Hyacinth was the star in this one. I love her personality and how she doesn’t change or hold back anything about herself. What you see is what you get, and it takes a man like Gareth to keep pace with her and stun her into silence a time or two. She’s very lovable and one scene with her mother stood out above all others. It was a touching scene when her mother explained just what Hyacinth meant to her and how she saved her after her husband died suddenly. It was so sweet and filled with emotion and was a moment that Hyacinth needed to know and hear.

Gareth keeps a few things from Hyacinth that hurt her deeply when they come out. But Hyacinth doesn’t let it get her down. She might lose her way a little bit but she picks right back up, and acts like she normally would, without caution. She calls on Gareth and gets things settled once and for all.

This is another 4 ½ star read for me in this wonderful series. Hyacinth had me laughing out loud on many occasions, as did Lady Danbury, Gareth’s Grandmother. The humor and heart in this series keeps me turning the pages faster and faster and while I’m looking forward to reading the last Bridgerton’s story, it’s bittersweet knowing that it’s the last one. But…that’s what rereads are for!
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read It's in His Kiss.

01/07/2012 page 187
51.0% "I just love Hyacinth. She says what she means *g*"