Amber at Fall Into Books's Reviews > The Calling

The Calling by Kelley Armstrong

Mar 09, 12

Read from February 13 to 18, 2012

Armstrong did it again with this book. The Calling begins right where The Gathering left off, and the entire novel is constant suspense and adventure. We get to learn so much more about Maya's world, right along side with her. It turns out that Maya's not the only super-human on the island. All of her friends have some sort of power, and while we don't learn what all of their powers are yet, we do learn about Sam and Daniel. They are a new breed of supernatural that Armstrong has never worked with before, and I really like that they are unique. I love paranormal books, but sometimes I do get tired of the same three types of paranormals over and over again. Armstrong is never afraid to work outside the box, and it's one of the reasons she's such a terrific author.

Maya grows a lot as a character in this book. She realizes that she's not the best judge of others' intentions, and she's in the process of learning to work within her boundaries. From the misjudgments she's had, I'd say she'd be better off just ignoring her "gut feeling" all together and asking Daniel what he thinks. She made some pretty big boo boo's. However, that's how characters grow, and I'm sure that she'll improve on her ability to judge others in the next novel. She also becomes a stronger character because she finds out some really drastic things, such as what really killed Serena and why. Along with these revelations, she also has to learn to make difficult decisions, such as when to leave one person behind to protect the group. By the end of the novel, Maya has toughened up a lot. I can't wait to see what happens to her in the next book.

Daniel grows quite a bit as a character, too. He becomes more honest with Maya, and it's obvious to see how much he cares about her. I don't think Maya realizes how he feels about her, or how she feels about him, yet. I hope she loves him, at least, because I really like them together. I mean Rafe is fine and everything, but I just like the dynamic between Maya and Daniel much better. I also like that they've been best friends their entire lives. I hope something good comes from that. We'll see which direction Armstrong decides to take it. I won't be disappointed if Maya chooses Rafe, but I'd rather she choose Daniel.

The plot is super suspenseful. The entire novel consists of them trying to find their way through the forest on Vancouver Island in order to escape, not just the St. Clouds, but also another enemy. These poor kids just don't stand a chance. There is a lot of action and adventure going on throughout the entire book, and the pacing is spot on. It's a super fast read. The entire novel took me maybe four to five hours to complete because it was just so intense. It's the perfect follow-up to The Gathering.

In an effort not to spoil The Calling for anyone, I'm going to end my review here. I really loved this novel, and I can't wait until the next book comes out. I'd recommend this book to anyone because Armstrong's work is amazing. There's a lot of action, a little bit of romance, and a ton of promise for the final book in the trilogy. Read The Gathering and The Calling ASAP! You won't be sorry!

Check out other reviews, giveaways, and author interviews at http://falln2books.blogspot.com

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Calling.

Quotes Amber at Fall Into Books Liked

Kelley Armstrong
“Remembering. Forgetting. I'm not sure which is worse.”
Kelley Armstrong, The Calling

Kelley Armstrong
“Maybe my expectations for honesty are too high.”
Kelley Armstrong, The Calling