AennA's Reviews > Super Panalo Sounds!

Super Panalo Sounds! by Lourd Ernest H. de Veyra

Feb 26, 2012

bookshelves: pinoy-ako-este-ito, love-love-love-it
Read in January, 2012 — I own a copy

Book Notes: My thoughts inspired by the book.

This book sent me migraine in a pack of powdery dust. Nah, I don't know what I meant by that, so don't ask me to explain it.

I bought a copy, simply because I like the author's book This is A Crazy Planets - despite I've been reading his blog posts already. I'm a fan, and I would not elaborate on my being a fan girl because you might discover my stalker tendencies. So there, my being a fan girl led me to his book - Super Panalo Sounds!

The book is about the band, Super Panalo Sounds!, and its member's struggle to keep up with the supposed fame, and lifestyle - drug infested, for that matter. I would like to say that the story is realistic, but I cannot exactly say so, because what do I know about being a rock band? When I see rock bands, they don't seem to be all glorified with drugs, or that's all what I see, right?

Well, being written by Lourd De Veyra, a Carlos Palanca awardee, and a vocalist of Radioactive Sago, he really must be telling a story. He really must be talking of real life characters, hiding underneath some book characters. I felt the pain, the trouble, the tragic life of each band members, and I felt bad for them. Wishing I could just pull them out of those pages and give them a good slap and preach.

The book in overall is a good read. Finishing the story gave me a sudden pull, sending my soul plummeting down the pavement, as I say “Kawawa naman sila.” I know I must have given some sort of spoiler for the ending with my previous statement, but I am telling you, you have to read the book to get hold of its soul, and appreciate the ending. Did I say appreciate?

If there’s something I must say I noticed about the book, is that it does not aim to be page flipper, but it pleases to be appreciated, with what it speaks about the characters. It can be a bit boring for some who cannot relate with the characters, but can be interesting, at the same time, to know what’s going on in their heads.

I like how De Veyra wrote it. After reading quite a number of various books, I noticed how different his writing style is. I’ve read some classics and other books with literary awards, but none of them introduced me to “new” words, and required me to check Mr. Webster as much as Super Panalo Sounds! did. With that, De Veyra’s book stands out from other locally published books I’ve read. The need for flowery words, with too much adjective was lessened with his writing style. And honestly, I felt those rare moments that I knew I am holding a literary piece, meant to be finished.

Super Panalo Sounds! by Lourd Ernest H. de Veyra

Read more of my Book Notes, other bookish thoughts and not-so-bookish stories at A Tub of Jelly Beans
5 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Super Panalo Sounds!.

01/15/2012 page 55
34.16% "Later na ang One Day. It can wait. I'm in such a high in reading books lately."
01/16/2012 page 101
62.73% "I can feel na matatapos ko to today. yey!"

anarki The drugs were awesome. LOL

AennA based on experience? Hehe

anarki Do I really look like I do drugs? hahahahaha

AennA It's not what I meant. I just based it on your statement. Hehehe

anarki Ok ok. hahahaha. The acid experience that Lourd tells in the story is awesome. hahaha. Very very funny and remarkably written. The talking hotdog. AHAHAHAHA.

message 6: by Petra X (new)

Petra X When I see rock bands, they don't seem to be all glorified with drugs, or that's all what I see, right?
We live in different countries. All the bands I know, except the Christian choral groups, are 'drug-infested'. The Christian ones? They don't even drink, or at least not publicly.

AennA @nik - yeah, I love that "talking hotdog" too. It's scary and funny at the same time! Hehehe

@petra X - Uhmn...maybe some rock bands still use drugs before performing on stage. I think some Christian groups might drink, but not use drugs.