Michelle's Reviews > The Night Circus

Jan 11, 2012

it was ok
bookshelves: 2012, historical, beware-the-hype
Read from January 06 to 11, 2012

I've been in a real rut with fiction lately and I'm starting to wonder if it's not the books I'm choosing but me. Either way, this much-lauded novel failed to hook me, failed to pull me in, failed to really entertain me at all. I was definitely reading just to finish. The writing itself is certainly fine, at times quite lyrical, and the descriptions oftentimes morph into something unique. The author does give a good sense of this magical, mystical night circus. Still, I didn't care. I didn't care one bit. The plot is sluggish and the characters flat and whatever "tension" established is not very tense at all. I don't know what all this "fierce competition" is about in the description but there’s only barely a competition and it’s hardly fierce. And the love story is weak, very weak.

One reviewer wrote it felt like the author had a setting and tried to create a plot around it and I definitely felt that way. I never got into any of the characters. And the constant change of time periods in small amounts (a few years up, a few years back) was, though I realize a plot device, kind of irritating. Again, from a purely technical standpoint, the writing is strong. In the end I was just relieved to be done.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Night Circus.

Jodie I will be interested to see what you think on this one.

Michelle I'm about 1/3 through... not really "feelin' it" yet.

Jodie I totally agree with your review, I found it to be quite a let down as well.

Karen Agree completely. Another of those books like Water for Elephants and Invisible Bridge - I have no idea why they're at all popular.

Robin Spot on review. It was like a creative writing class assignment that spiraled wildly out of control.

Erin So do I waste my time or not?

Michelle I don't know! I really did not care for it and it was painful to read but I have plenty of friends who loved it. Though almost all of my most trusted readers did not care for it.

Erin Thanks - I usually like the same books that you do.

I'm about 1/4 into it. It's okay so far but nothing fabulous. I'm not really following what's going on. I do know that if I don't like it I'm going to stop reading. I'm done wasting my time on dumb books.

Monique 3 stars. Took me 200 pages to get into the book at all. I agree that the competition was never fierce and the juggling between time periods annoying. But, I did eventually care about the relationship between Marco and Celia, hoped it worked out for them, and wasn't just a competitive ruse, and enjoyed the lyrical and imaginative descriptions of the circus. It seemed like a place I would like to visit. Definitely a slug and had the potential to have been a much better book.