Alison's Reviews > Orlando

Orlando by Virginia Woolf

Jun 29, 08

Recommended for: people who know how Virginia Woolf writes and still like to read her
Read in June, 2008

If (as I read), Orlando is the most accessible of Woolf's novels, I'm in trouble deep. This writing is extremely imaginative and Woolf was no doubt a literary genius and a talented, gifted writer, but 1/2 way in, I have failed to connect or become engaged with this fantastical, historical "biography".

Orlando begins as a boy, and very poetically is morphed into a woman while sleeping ("He stretched himself. He rose. He stood upright in complete nakedness before us, and while the trumpets pealed Truth! Truth! Truth! we have no choice left but confess--he was a woman.") I don't have any problem with the content...it's a very interesting premise that I'm sure speaks volumes about gender and society...I just keep finding myself daydreaming when I should be soaking in the prose, which flows more like poetry.

Sorry, Virgina Woolf. It's not exactly that I'm afraid of you, I just can't keep my mind from veering off into a mental to-do list...

Does anyone want my copy of this?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Orlando.