Cherie's Reviews > The Book Thief

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

Jan 12, 13

Read from January 06 to 12, 2013

This book is one you cannot want to be in a hurry to read. It is hard. It is sad. It is wonderful.

It is a story about Germany before and during WWII, from a side you don't hear much about. This book was about a young girl taken to live with a foster family in Munich, Germany in 1939. It is about a boy who becomes the girl's best friend. It is about the foster parents and the other people who live on Himmel(named after Heaven)Street in one of the poorest neighborhoods. It is about a young Jewish man that was hidden in a basement for 22 months. They were all starving. It is a book, within a book, within a book. And it is a story about a character called DEATH. It is told by him.

There are some beautiful passages that really struck me. I could tell that this was who she loved the most. Her espression stroked the man on his face. An expression stroking a face.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Book Thief.

01/08/2013 page 26
4.0% "Very interesting story line. I am liking it. Death as the speaker?"
01/09/2013 page 97
17.0% "I really like the way this book is written!"
01/10/2013 page 207
37.0% "Just keeps getting better and better!"
01/11/2013 page 244
44.0% "I was doing the crossword puzzle yesterday and there was a question that required a word in German and I knew it. As I was reading last night, I thought "I am learning a lot of German words", unfortunately not most of them I could use every day."

dateDown_arrow    newest »