Jay Kristoff's Reviews > Nation

Nation by Terry Pratchett

4901961
Feb 09, 12

Read in January, 2012

I'm not the world's biggest Terry Pratchett fan. I've tried getting into Diskworld on no less than 4 occasions, and have always stumbled by about book 4. BUT, the bride insisted I give NATION a shot because it's a stand alone, and hell, when the bride insists, the wise man listens.

So this was a pretty great book. It feels like it could have done with a *tiny* bit more... I don't know what. 'Polish' is the wrong word. I don't know what the right word is. But I read somewhere that the idea for NATION has been bubbling around in Pratchett's head for years, and he felt compelled to write it now before his Alzheimer's takes away his ability to do so. Which is sad. And it explains that feeling I got while reading it that hey, this is really good, but with a bit more...something, it could have been one of the greatest books I've read in my life.

Pratchett has a knack for saying everyday things in a wonderful way. Mau is just a fantastic character - a boy who has lost his family, his country and his faith, and has to rebuild himself from the ground on up. Daphne the Ghost Girl is excellent too. In parts the book is very funny, and I almost get disappointed when Pratchett stoops to poo-poo and vomit jokes, but hey, he's British and as Ben Elton says, bodily functions are the basis for their entire culture (he said it, not me, get offended at him if you wanna)

NATION is a book about religion and origins. Its a book about universal truths, regardless of class or race or upbringing, about the things that make us all the same. It's deeply insightful and the prose is, as I already said, simply wonderful in parts. So even if you're not a Pratchett fan, pick it up. It's well worth your time.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Nation.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

[Name Redacted By Goodreads Because Irrelevant to Review] It's also intended as a children's or YA novel. That might explain the missing "something".

message 2: by Jay (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jay Kristoff Ian wrote: "It's also intended as a children's or YA novel. That might explain the missing "something"."

I didn't know that (to his credit, it didn't feel at all 'dumbed down' for his audience, as a lot of YA writers tend to do). That might indeed explain it.