Etta Mcquade's Reviews > Travels With My Aunt

F 50x66
Jan 08, 2012

liked it
Read in January, 2012

When Henry Pulling, a retired bank manager and a rather boring individual, meets his 75 year-old aunt Augusta for the first time in over 50 years at his supposed mother's funeral, he learns that his mother is not his mother, and that his aunt lives a bizarre life. Soon after, he leaves his dahlias, to travel with her to Brighton, Paris, Istanbul and Paraguay. I should have been aware of her low-key immorality when the cover calls her "a veteran of Europe's hotel bedrooms," but had to keep reading as they encounter hippies, war criminals, CIA men, pot smokers and law breakers, and especially to learn who Henry's mother is. (I had a hunch and was right.) The book is crazy, sometimes funny, bizarre, outlandish (Do these adjectives all mean the same thing?), sometimes stupid, and unlike anything I have ever read. And, at the end, Henry permanently escapes from his dahlias and his yawning life. Surprisingly, I did like the book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Travels With My Aunt.