Tricia's Reviews > The Golden Acorn

The Golden Acorn by Catherine  Cooper

1924595
Sep 08, 2014

liked it
bookshelves: children-s-chapter, ebook, on-kindle, middle-grades
Read from January 06 to 11, 2012

Like many of the reviewers here, I got this because it was free for the Kindle - and in my case, because I saw that it was "x-ray enabled" and I wanted to see what that was all about. I also saw this as a possible Kindle read for my boys (8, 11, 14). I still do a lot of bedtime reading with my 8yo (and sometimes 11yo), and read many of the same books as my 11 and 14yos, so I have a sense of what they might like. I think the 8yo would enjoy the basic story line, the 11yo might, the 14yo would get bored. The basic plot line is interesting enough, but some of the details stretch out for way too long. Many elements seem to get introduced for no other purpose than "hey, here's another neat character that fits with the Druid mythological world." Perhaps they will play a bigger role in future books, but that doesn't seem like enough of a reason to bog down this story with them. And while the story sometimes drags, a few times it seemed to take giant leaps that left me wondering what happened. This would have benefitted from an editor who was committed to internal coherence.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Golden Acorn.