Justin Van Kleeck's Reviews > Under the Banner of Heaven: A Story of Violent Faith

Under the Banner of Heaven by Jon Krakauer

Feb 02, 2012

Read from January 06 to February 02, 2012

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Under the Banner of Heaven.

message 1: by Kerry (new)

Kerry Hey Justin, please let me know what you thought of this when you've finished it. I have read other Jon Krakauer books and have really liked them. Cheers!

Justin Van Kleeck Will do, Kerry. I am only on p. 72 now, and it is already both infuriating and shocking. I have not looked much into Mormonism thus far, even being a religious studies minor and someone who follows religious issues (as a curious atheist)...needless to say, this has been eye opening already.

message 3: by Kerry (new)

Kerry Justin wrote: "Will do, Kerry. I am only on p. 72 now, and it is already both infuriating and shocking. I have not looked much into Mormonism thus far, even being a religious studies minor and someone who follows..."

I can believe it! I reads the synopsis of the book a while ago and it sounded like a shocker... Thanks :)

message 4: by Matt (new) - added it

Matt Hmmmm what is this? I am intrigued!

message 5: by Justin (last edited Jan 15, 2012 04:05AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Justin Van Kleeck Matt, this book is about Mormon fundamentalists and the violent history of the religion/movement/sect as a whole. Krakauer looks particularly closely at the battle over polygamy, from the way it became a wedge within the Mormon church and in American society, to the effect it has on women. I have about 100 pages left...

Alford Wayman Matt wrote: "Hmmmm what is this? I am intrigued!"

It's a good read! It was very controversial at the time of it's release. Has information on the FLDS/LDS split.

message 7: by Matt (new) - added it

Matt Ok thanks I think I may have to check this out!