Jane's Reviews > Maid to Match

5202469
Jan 06, 12

bookshelves: historical
Read in January, 2012

This lovely romance is set in Ashville, NC at the Biltmore estate at the turn of the century, and is rich with intriguing details about the estate, the servant class, the social order of the time, and so much more. The author, Deanne Gist, goes to great lengths to make the story historically accurate. Reading this novel is an adventure, exploring a portal to a world that none of us would normally know much about. Today we are in many ways class-less, but at the time this novel takes place, opportunities were carefully circumscribed by social class. The Vanderbilts (who built the Biltmore) differed from many other wealthy people in that they cared for their servants and treated them as people. Still, to be limited by one's birth was hard and this experience is explored in this novel.

It is the story of Tillie, the head parlormaid at the Biltmore, a young lady who has been raised and educated to fulfill a high position in the home of the wealthiest people in the area--an amazing opportunity. When she falls in love she must choose between this dream of her entire life and the man she falls in love with. She must also discern what God's will is in her decision.

Although this is technically a Christian romance, I would call it a "Christian lite" romance, as faith does not have an overt role in the story line. I would expect that this is a novel that would appeal to all fans of historical romance, no matter what their faith leanings. I loved this!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Maid to Match.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Pat (new) - rated it 4 stars

Pat I had forgotten how much I liked this book until I read your review! I hope she writes another. I was attracted to the book by its cover, it reminded me of something else where the same or at least very similar illustration had been used. I agree that it would appeal to all fans of historical romance not limited to Christian romance readers.I am always interested in that period of history as that is the time of my great grandparents and I like to imagine how things were for them. My great grandmother worked in the kitchen of the Pfister Hotel in Milwaukee, and met my ggrandfather there, he apparently worked for the hotel as well, but I don't know what he did, he may have worked in the stable???? or maybe a busboy or dishwasher, I don't know.

Jane Pat wrote: "I had forgotten how much I liked this book until I read your review! I hope she writes another. I was attracted to the book by its cover, it reminded me of something else where the same or at least..."

I love that period for the same reasons. And also- I love The Waltons because my grandmother would be Mary Ellen as she's the same age as her and it brings you closer to them knowing how life would have been like for them.