Rebecca ♥ Matrim, Kishan, Warner ♥'s Reviews > Existence

Existence by Abbi Glines

Apr 27, 12

bookshelves: paranormal, ghosts-death-afterlife, romance, young-adult, favourites, memorable-men, ebook, reviewed
Recommended for: fans of intense YA romance with darker themes
Read on April 25, 2012

You know when a book is really hyped you start to worry that it cant really be as good as you heard? Well, that is how I felt going into Existence. I was totally unprepared for how much I loved it. I was completely blown away by the direction the story took and all the issues it explored. It got pretty dark at times.

I heard some complaints about Pagan as a heroine, that she was weak. But I dont see it like that. Character flaws dont mean flaws in the books. People have flaws, its realistic. Although some people just prefer books with a certain type of lead, which is understandable. And I do sort of see where they are coming from. When Pagan started having trouble sleeping and yelling Dank's name at night, it gave me a brief flashback of Bella. But their circumstances were quite different. For Pagan it wasnt an overreaction, so I can forgive her. Because what she and Dank felt for each other was something more than love, perhaps it was even supernatural. It couldnt be controlled and it couldnt be stopped.

"I'm not a man so I do not have a heart that loves as a human does. I'm an immortal god that dwells with supreme power because I hold the keys to death. But you are my existence. I am yours."

"I figure you have more intense feelings toward him than the measly love you humans so easily give."

This book more thoroughly explored the meaning of love than is usual for a YA. It also explored life and death and mental health. All the while taking us on an emotional roller coaster, in the best of ways. I dont usually like books that make me upset, but the payoff was worth it.

I heard another complaint about the heroine once again choosing the inappropriate guy over the sweetheart. In a lot of books I would agree that that is tiresome, but not in this one. Leif was sweet, but in a Puck or Matt sort of way. He should be firmly placed in the Friend Zone. And Dank wasn't inappropriate, he was unbelievably amazing. He never did a single thing wrong that I can complain about. In some books, when the guy cant be with the girl, he tries to hurt her to force her to move on (Tiger's Voyage, Clockwork Angel), but Dank never once denied to Pagan how much he wanted her, and you could clearly see his heartbreak (if he had a heart), especially on the night of the homecoming. Even when he was forced to leave her he still made sure she was safe and was there when she needed, even if it was just to sing her to sleep. When he did that it reminded me of Sam, and really, how could he be sweeter than that? He had a surprisingly small amount of ish to deal with, considering he was Death. You'd think he would have issues, but nope. He just needed her. I suppose because he didnt have a heart or soul, Pagan was his heart and soul. A line you have probably heard before in romance, but this time it is true.

Although I hate the names Pagan, Dank, and Leif, this story had incredible depth that brought Pagan to some dark places in her life, and amazingly strong characters that discovered that there is something greater than life, and something greater than love.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Existence.

Quotes Rebecca ♥ Matrim, Kishan, Warner ♥ Liked

Abbi Glines
“You tempt me.I can't be tempted.I'm not made to be tempted,but you,Pagan Moore,you tempt me.From the moment i came for you i was drawn in.Everything about you.."One of his hands left my waist and moved up to gently caress my arm."You make me crazy with need.With want.I didn't understand it at first.But now i know.It's your soul calling to me.Souls mean nothing to me.They aren't supposed to.But yours has become my obsession.”

Abbi Glines
“I get to keep you,” he said, staring at me with an
intensity that made me shiver.
“Keep me?” I asked, reaching up to kiss his chin and trail
kisses down his perfect neck.
“Not here. I can’t take much more, Pagan. I’m only so
strong,” he said in a husky voice as he pulled me against his
chest. “You’re mine now. While you walk the Earth you
belong to me. Nothing can hurt you.” I heard a touch of
humor in his voice. “It’s pretty impossible to hurt what Death
protects.”

Abbi Glines
You want what you can’t have. I see it in your eyes. The
pain that fills your nights is because of my pack of lies. I’ve
opened up the door for you to walk away. There’s a better
path for you even though I want you to stay. I’ve broken the
rules, I’ve veered from the path but when I met you I knew
to save you was worth the wrath. Let me leave now before
it’s too late. Let me leave now before you know what I am
and your love becomes hate.

04/25/2012

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Lindsay Fantastic review! I completely agree with everything you said.

You've made me want to go back and finish Shiver. I started it a while back but ended up putting it down because I wasn't in the mood for it. (I'm not a huge werewolf fan).

message 2: by Rebecca ♥ Matrim, Kishan, Warner ♥ (last edited Apr 21, 2014 01:57PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rebecca ♥ Matrim, Kishan, Warner ♥ Thanks.

Shiver was good but I didnt like Linger and I didnt finish reading Forever.

Lindsay Lol. I bought all three because the author was in the area for a book signing. I had the hardest time with Shiver, but I was mostly reading out of a sense of obligation since I bought the books and made an effort to go to the book signing.

As you know, I didn't get very far in them.

Rebecca ♥ Matrim, Kishan, Warner ♥ Yeah, maybe dont bother, if you didnt like Shiver and it was the best of the 3, you probably wont enjoy it.

Lindsay Lol. I'll go back to it one day, but there are so many other books that are calling me that they will have to wait.

Nitzan Schwarz It was really interesting reading your review because I basically felt completely opposite from you about everything! (Aside for the fact their names are horrible). Haha, but that's just me, and I know this is a very popular book. I find it fascinating how there can be so many different opinion on the same book :)

message 7: by Rebecca ♥ Matrim, Kishan, Warner ♥ (last edited Sep 05, 2012 03:29PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rebecca ♥ Matrim, Kishan, Warner ♥ Yeah, I was just reading your review too. :P Its funny sometimes how different some people can see the same book.

Nitzan Schwarz It's funny but makes sense. It's part of what makes this world so interesting :) I believe each opinion has its place and is valid. I often go on purpose to those who had the other opinion because it's so intriguing to learn more about their point of view! :D

Irene ~ Ice Cold Passion.com I got the same Bella flashback, funny you thought the same...