Nikki's Reviews > The Quiche of Death

The Quiche of Death by M.C. Beaton

Feb 08, 13

bookshelves: mystery, crime
Read from October 06, 2012 to February 08, 2013

Okay. Okay. I gave Agatha Raisin a couple of chances. I actually wanted to like this; I bought the four book omnibus back whenever it was on sale in the Kindle store, and I love my cosy mysteries terribly much. But I hated the main character, I didn't find all the descriptions quirky and funny as they seemed meant to be, and I actually fell asleep trying to read it, something which I almost never do.

Giving up on it even though I haven't got to the end, because I don't care enough to keep details in mind between reads, and just removing the other ones from my books.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Quiche of Death.

01/25/2013 "I really wasn't enjoying this that much, actually. Stalled while my Kindle's replaced, anyway."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tria (new)

Tria Oh, dear. What happened to your Kindle?

Nikki It just expired for no apparent reason -- the top half of the screen still worked, but the bottom half froze. I've got the replacement now, happily!

message 3: by Robert (new)

Robert Is it possible to rescue the "books" in such a circumstance?

Nikki How d'you mean?

message 5: by Robert (new)

Robert I mean (not knowing anything about e-readers) is it possible to transfer the book-files from the machine that broke to the replacement? Are they stored on a removable memory card or summat?

Nikki Oh, yes, they're on the cloud and you can download them again whenever you like, when you get them direct from Amazon.

(I always keep backups of ebooks I got from Weightless Books or Baen or somewhere else, so I haven't lost those books either.)

message 7: by Robert (new)

Robert Nikki wrote: "Oh, yes, they're on the cloud and you can download them again whenever you like, when you get them direct from Amazon.

I see. This inclines me much more toward the idea of getting one. Thanks.

Nikki I love ereaders -- I'm biased 'cause they're the only way me and my mum can read the same books anymore (she can't read normal print in dead tree books) and it's also a good way to get hold of English-language books for my girlfriend, but I do love mine.

message 9: by Robert (new)

Robert Nikki wrote: "I love ereaders -- I'm biased 'cause they're the only way me and my mum can read the same books anymore (she can't read normal print in dead tree books) and it's also a good way to get hold of Engl..."

I can see many merits to them, even for someone who is not using it to overcome some physical difficulty, but reliability and the possible loss of all one's e-books upon failure were concerns. How long did you have the one that suffered screen failure for?

Can you give an idea of typical usage-hours before recharging is required?

message 10: by Nikki (new) - rated it 1 star

Nikki I had the one that suffered screen failure for about six months, but that was a fluke, and it was replaced for free; my previous one is still working and is about three years old, and my very first one is still in active use by my girlfriend.

Hmmm, I know the official line on usage hours, but I can't think how long it tends to last for me. Several books' worth, at least; on the Kindle at least it depends on page-turns, not time, as it only takes charge to refresh the screen, not to maintain an image. I've read The Hobbit and half of Fellowship of the Ring on it, plus organised my hundreds of books, and it hasn't lost more than two thirds of its charge yet.