Madeline's Reviews > One Hundred Years of Solitude

One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcí­a Márquez

Jun 21, 09

bookshelves: 50-poc-in-2009, 2009, library-books, family, westernish-canon, magical-realism, translations, revolution, over-rated, novels
Recommended for: people who love Lolita, pour souls
Read in June, 2009, read count: 1

I thought that this was a book I would like, would even love, but I was wrong. William Kennedy wrote many many years ago that One Hundred Years of Solitude was as important as the book of Genesis and therefore, like Genesis, the only required reading for every person in the world ever. Leaving aside the many obvious problems with such a statement, let me say that Kennedy is indeed correct in saying that it Marquez's book is similar to Genesis in many ways: it is complicated, mythological, deeply rooted in an alien (to me) conception of the world, and multilayered. Like Genesis, I did not give a damn about anything that happened to anyone.

Perhaps it is the translation, because I have heard that his book is excellent in Spanish and miserable in English. And I loved the imagination! Which was practically cinematic (it reminded me of Powell & Pressburger, and there are no filmmakers I admire more for their imagination than the Archers) but I just could not invest myself in it. It was like Chinatown all over again (haha, in more ways than one, shall we say?).

I like books that are ambiguous and confuse me, and leave themselves open to dissection. (Maybe, in this case, vivisection.) That is not a problem I have with literature in general, and nor was it a problem I had with THIS book, because I wasn't confused [unless I was supposed to be:]. Anyway, very disappointed.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read One Hundred Years of Solitude.

06/14/2009 page 21
4.59% "I am kind of worried about my ability to read this."
06/20/2009 page 155
33.84% "If this were a movie, Michael Powell would have directed it. (Or Werner Herzog.)"
show 2 hidden updates…