Christal's Reviews > Gunmetal Magic

Gunmetal Magic by Ilona Andrews

This book was classic Andrews. Lots of magic, action, godly interference, and of course snark! While I didn't love this quite as much as a Kate book, I still enjoyed the visit to magical Atlanta and learning Andrea's side of the story.

Andrea Nash is trying to put her life back together and part of that involves facing up to her ex-boyfriend Raphael. When the pack asks for her help investigating the murders of Raphael's reclamation workers, they are both forced to face their feelings and work together to solve the mystery. It wouldn't be an Andrews novel without a mythological background and this time we are introduced to Egyptology and the god Anapa/Anubis.

The mystery was interesting but it was really Andrea's voice that carried this novel. She is a very damaged character and it was touching to watch as she rebuilt herself. She came to accept things that she had previously hated or rejected. I think she became a much stronger character and began to believe in herself as someone of value. I hope we get to see this new side to her in the future Kate Daniels' novel.

I loved the appearances made by Kate, Curran, and Doolittle. It was a lot of fun to see Andrea take on Ascanio as a side kick, much the way Kate helped nurture Derek. It seemed Ascanio really respected Andrea and hopefully took a few lessons from her. I also enjoyed seeing Julie from Andrea's perspective.

The only part that I didn't love was Raphael and the tension between him and Andrea. They acted pretty silly towards each other for most of the novel, and while it was entertaining, I wanted to see true emotion between them. I blame it mostly on Raphael because he just did not jump off the page for me here. I loved him in the other books, especially Magic Strikes. He just felt flat to me here; it was really obvious when compared to the awesomeness that was Roman. He was an incredible addition to this story and I hope we see him in future Kate novels or even a novella of his own. I did appreciate that Andrea realized right away that she wasn't attracted to him. It was a nice change from love triangles that drag on and on due one character's indecision. That said, I am happy with the resolution to Andrea and Raphael's story and happily patiently anxiously await the next novel in the Kate Daniels' World.

*** This book also included the novella Magic Gifts which I had previously read and reviewed here. ***

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Gunmetal Magic.

08/03/2012 page 234
72.0% "I don't want to stop reading for the night! This book is so good. Long live Ilona and Gordon!"

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Breann I will be stalking your updates my friend!