Rebecca's Reviews > The Silver Chair

The Silver Chair by C.S. Lewis

Jun 28, 08

Read in June, 2008

The writing in this book is rather good. I listened to 2/3 of the book on audio and finished the last third on page. I do wonder how much of my enjoyment was based on listening to a good narrator relaying the story. But this book took a far darker turn than previous works in the Chronicles. No doubt, this has more to do with why I enjoyed it. The scene where Eustace realizes the old king making his way out to sea, a frail, ghost of a man, is the very same Caspian whom he shared his first adventures with in Narnia is incredibly moving. And Lewis doesn't spoil it as he usually does with scenes like this, i.e. scenes that ring with emotional authenticity.

The book is still boringly formulaic in that particle Narnia way, and Lewis could have done a lot more in terms of varying the landscape the children and Puddleglum encounter. After the dizzyingly imaginative worlds he created in The Voyage of the Dawn Treader, this was a bit of a let down. Still, it did have its moments of brilliance: the description of the house of Harfang, the eerie green lights of the underland and the (really impressive) glimpse we are given of Brism.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Silver Chair.