Jennifer's Reviews > The Street Sweeper

The Street Sweeper by Elliot Perlman

Jan 13, 12

Read from January 06 to 11, 2012

During the course of this book, a history professor at Columbia University delivers a lecture to his students with the intent of demonstrating how history is about so much more than memorizing dates and statistics and locations. He wants his students to realize that some of the most compelling historical stories are about the moments when ordinary people are caught up within extraordinary circumstances.

As "The Street Sweeper" unfolds, the reader is taken along an extraordinary journey with some of these characters during a narrative that spans seven decades, focusing specifically on the events of the Holocaust and the Civil Rights Movement. There are some truly brutal moments in this novel, written with harrowing detail but there are also moments filled with great hope. Not everyone in this story finds redemption, but each and every personal journey is no less captivating despite this.

This story caught my attention when I read a review that stated "...there is always that moment when the words on the page swallow the world outside - subway stations fly by, errands go un-run, rational bedtimes are abandoned - and the only goal is to gobble up the next paragraph, and the next, and the next."

In this case, I wholeheartedly agree. "The Street Sweeper" receives my first 5 star rating of 2012 and I'm quite certain it will be one of my favorite books of the entire year.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Street Sweeper.

01/06/2012
3.0% "I read such a glowing review of this today that I had to start it. One chapter in and I am not disappointed."
01/08/2012
54.0% "So much is happening in this story in multiple eras. I can't quite believe I'm only at the halfway point."
show 8 hidden updates…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Jennifer Thank you, Lew, for the like and for your kind note on your friend request. I hope we will find common interests, too. Take Care!