Lauriann's Reviews > The Memory Palace

The Memory Palace by Mira Bartok

U 50x66
Jan 06, 2012

Read in January, 2012

Mira Bartok has dealt with the emotional upheaval of growing up with a schizophrenic mother by writing a haunting memoir, whose words linger with this reader. The author needed to shut her mother completely out of her adult life for her own preservation, and she expressed honestly the pull between guilt that her mother was homeless and self-preservation. One applauds the writer for emerging as a woman of strength. This memoir speaks for the great need for resources and help for the mentally ill. The book could have been made more interesting with more photographs; we were limited to two very small black and white pictures. I'm left wondering why the author chose to keep the images from us. So much was made of her mother's youthful beauty, exuberance, talent and many pictures were described but just not included. We never had a chance to see Mira or her sister as teenagers or adults, any of the other people in the book, or to see the sad evolution wrought by mental illness. The heartache at her mother's deathbed was palpable. Closure is closure in all its manifestations.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Memory Palace.