Kristjan's Reviews > The Sovereign Reigns, or Does He?

The Sovereign Reigns, or Does He? by Ray Ruppert

Aug 26, 2008

it was ok
bookshelves: science-fantasy, reviewed
Recommended to Kristjan by: Ray Ruppert
Recommended for: Evangelicals
Read in August, 2008

I really wanted to like this book; I requested an ebook copy from the author for review. It just didn't quite live up to my expectations.

It was a bold attempt to visualize what the Reign of Christ described in Revelation 20:1-10 might actually look like. Admittedly I have not studied pre-millennialism doctrine much, as this was rejected by the Catholic Church in 373 AD; however, recalling the Left Behind series, I was very interested in how this eschatological time would be portrayed. Given the wide variance in the interpretation of the governing scriptures, the author sets himself up an extremely difficult task. The basic story elements comply with the specific milestones that I am aware of:

1. Satan is bound/imprisoned for the duration,
2. Christ will rule the earth with his Saints.
3. Satan will be released/escape for a final conflict at the end.

The story arc only covers that last few years of the Kingdom trying to illustrate how we build up to the final battle ... Which is the biggest strike against the book. It is ALL build-up with no climax; not even a cliff-hanger ending. Nothing at all to pull me into the sequel The Sovereign's Last Battle, which hopefully has a lot more action. Of the three plotlines, the only one that was truly interesting was the space exploration branch where Mr. Ruppert introduced some very original ideas about divinity. Unfortunately he also does some rather basic info-dumps that were irritating ... Probably because I was already very familiar with the topics presented; I tended to disagree with some of the material presented as well. The other two plotlines left me feeling like I had just finished reading an infomercial for evangelicals. The character development was somewhat stilted and shallow; used primarily as a means to introduce some of the more objectionable components of what amounts to a totalitarian government under Christ's control. Perhaps this was by design so that the reader would potentially identify more with rebels ... if so, he succeeded.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sovereign Reigns, or Does He?.

Kristjan Aaack ... I now see two version on GR with a difference of almost 100 pages. I am guessing I actually read the shorter 268 page version instead of the more complete story. I apologize for the mistake. I attempted to change versions with my review and GR threw an error. Hopefully I can correct it after consulting with other librarians.

I really think your editor did you a disservice here. I think the story would have been much better with a more traditional ending. Also ... the Ramah plotline should have been fleshed out more; it really did have the potential to carry the whole story.