Bruce's Reviews > Armageddon in Retrospect

Armageddon in Retrospect by Kurt Vonnegut

1207684
Jul 22, 08

Recommended to Bruce by: Trevor Nagle

I often wonder how readers who did not come of age in the sixties view Kurt Vonnegut. I did, and he was iconic. How many times since then I have reread Cat's Cradle and Slaughterhouse-Five with the same enjoyment I did when they were first published. Vonnegut's novels are deceptive; one has the feeling that one is reading something light, flippant, and ultimately insubstantial only to find the plots and characters remain with one for years afterward.

I approached this short collection of his unpublished (now published posthumously) with some trepidation. So often such works were withheld from publication by an author for good reason, or he was unable to get them published, and in either case they can be disappointing. I did not, however, find that to be true with these short stories. I found them to be most compelling and well-written. Most grew out of Vonnegut's WWII experiences, but that isn't true of them all. Several continue to haunt me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Armageddon in Retrospect.

Mollymillions I came of age in the 90s and Kurt is iconic to me as well. I can't imagine a better writer on the topic of war and humanity.

message 2: by Hank (new) - added it

Hank Washer i discovered vonnegut a while back. i was born in 87 and i can tell you that he is and always will be my favorite author. his work seems to be relevant no matter the era.

Beth Amen

message 4: by Sam (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sam Clements Sadly the recurring themes of war, obviously in this book but also in others, hasn't gone away. I'm 21 and just starting to read Vonnegut, and I've got to say he is as relevant and incredible a writer in my eyes as he just have been in the sixties.