Sandi's Reviews > We, Robots

Jul 23, 2008

bookshelves: sci-fi, 2008
Recommended for: Everyone
Read in July, 2008

If Isaac Asimov, Philip K. Dick, Rod Serling, and Ray Bradbury were to collaborate on a book, the result might be something like “We, Robots” by Sue Lange. It has the comprehensibility of Asimov, the wry social commentary of Dick, the conscience of Serling’s “Twilight Zone” and the heart of Bradbury. However, as much as Lange has drawn from the masters, she has created something completely unique and has a voice of her own that is equal to any of them. I hope to see a lot more from her in coming years.

I really didn’t know what to expect when I bought this little book. I “met” Sue here on GoodReads and I thought her book sounded okay. I really didn’t have any expectations other than thinking that it might just be yet another homage to Asimov and his Three Laws of Robotics. (The Three Rules are never mentioned and apparently never existed in this future.) I was apprehensive about reading it. It was pretty expensive for such a short book. What if I didn’t like it? I needn’t have worried. “We, Robots” is charming and delightful. I never use words like “charming” and “delightful” when talking about books, especially science fiction. I adored Avey from the moment his story began. He was the perfect narrator. The simplicity of the storytelling made this novella comprehensible, but it doesn’t mean that the story was simple. Lange covers a lot of tough topics, like slavery and cruelty, in a way that is compelling in its directness. I also was able to understand exactly what science fiction writers mean by “singularity” and “transhumanism” because of how clearly and simply it was defined and illustrated in “We, Robots.”

Finally, I have to add that this is a book you can let your kids read. In fact, you will probably WANT them to read it. I think they can learn a lot from it about being human.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read We, Robots.