Jennifer's Reviews > Keeping Faith

Keeping Faith by Jodi Picoult

Aug 04, 14

bookshelves: general-fiction
Read in November, 2009

So it took me about a month and a half to read this book. Usually that would mean that it was so bad that I just couldn't get through it. To the contrary, I thought it was a good book (not great, but good), just a little too slow for me. There were so many times I wanted to read, but I was bored with it, so I just put it down. I thought the story line was a good one, but there was so much unnecessary story added to it, that it seemed to drag on and on.

I thought Ian's press conference at the end was a total cop out. The entire book I spent wondering what he was going to say, what people were going to think when they heard him say it. I am disappointed in the way that played out. I've only read one other Jodi Picoult book (My Sisters' Keeper), but I also thought that story had a cop out in it too - which was the ending. It seems when there is an issue that everyone is thinking about, Jodi decides to play it safe and instead of taking a stand one way or the other, she takes the safe road and doesn't make a decision. That bothers me a lot.

I found Metz's cross exam on Mariah unrealistic as he was was badgering her and downright calling her a liar. Yet her attorney just sat there and hardly objected at all. Those questions, while it made for a nice story, never would have played out in a real trial. Mariah's attorney would have objected continuously and the Judge never would have allowed that line of questioning to continue. Also, the continuous adding of witnesses and exhibits at the last minute by Metz were unrealistic. Counsel submit witness and exhibit lists for a reason - exactly so that this "surprise" doesn't come up in trial. I doubt the Judge would have allowed either. In that regard, I found the Judge to be unrealistic.

I actually found myself questioning Mariah throughout the story. When everyone was wondering if she was hurting Faith, I myself was wondering if there was something we didn't know. Even though we, as readers, saw first hand the miracles that Faith performed, and her stigmata, it still seemed so unbelievable to me, that I thought the only thing that made sense was that Mariah indeed was causing Faith to behave in such a way. But perhaps that's just because I don't believe in god and so it didn't seem real to me.

I also thought there were sooo many characters. I couldn't keep any of the Preists straight and eventually stopped caring all together.

In the end, I will never re-read this book. I'm glad I'm *finally* done. And I guess in hindsite the story added very little value to my life. I'm not going to sit here and think about it anymore and that's usually the sign that the book wasn't that great overall.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Keeping Faith.