Jennifer's Reviews > The Handmaid and the Carpenter

The Handmaid and the Carpenter by Elizabeth Berg

Jan 06, 12

Read in December, 2009

In standing with Elizabeth Berg being my favorite writer, she stood up to my expectations on this book. I got it for Christmas in 2006 and waited until 2007 to read it, but I thought it started out slow, so I put it aside. Now a few years later, I have converted my religion, but still decided to give the book a shot. It didn't even speak to me as a religious book, because it's not really. It's only the authors take on what she thinks happened -- all the day to day things that you don't get to see in the story of Mary, Joseph, and Jesus. I just loved it. I read it as an awesome story with a great plot, and was not at all put off by the story that it was representing. This book is a quick read (as are most of Elizabeth Berg's books because you just can't put them down), and I just loved it. There were so many ways she could have gone into more detail and made the book longer, but I think the way it is is just fine.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Handmaid and the Carpenter.