Jennifer's Reviews > The Handmaid and the Carpenter

The Handmaid and the Carpenter by Elizabeth Berg

Jan 06, 2012

bookshelves: general-fiction
Read in December, 2009

In standing with Elizabeth Berg being my favorite writer, she stood up to my expectations on this book. I got it for Christmas in 2006 and waited until 2007 to read it, but I thought it started out slow, so I put it aside. Now a few years later, I have converted my religion, but still decided to give the book a shot. It didn't even speak to me as a religious book, because it's not really. It's only the authors take on what she thinks happened -- all the day to day things that you don't get to see in the story of Mary, Joseph, and Jesus. I just loved it. I read it as an awesome story with a great plot, and was not at all put off by the story that it was representing. This book is a quick read (as are most of Elizabeth Berg's books because you just can't put them down), and I just loved it. There were so many ways she could have gone into more detail and made the book longer, but I think the way it is is just fine.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Handmaid and the Carpenter.