Joy (joyous reads)'s Reviews > Destiny Binds

Wonderful start.

Disappointing end.

Love triangle hell.

________________________________

I was truthfully enjoying this book right up to the last few pages. Despite all the editing mishaps, it had me giggling at a smarty-pants heroine who can talk and walk smack with the rest of them. And at one point, I thought, wow another Indie gold! I can't believe I waited so long to read this book. Then everything fell apart. The sad thing is, it happened toward the end.

This book is your typical werewolf story. Girl meets this new boy who seemed intent on rubbing her in the worst way possible, girl couldn't help but be attracted to new boy because boy is a hottie. Girl later finds out he has a secret, as are the rest of her family and friends. Girl is also attracted to another boy she grew up with, but unfortunately, is also keeping secrets from her. Later on, the girl must choose between the new love and the old love, but her choice proved to be disastrous.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with writing a same old, same old story. In fact, I can readily admit that I enjoyed the majority of this book. The MC has a refreshing voice; she wasn't self-deprecating and she knew where she stands. She was smart, funny, and had a repertoire of witty remarks that made me chuckle on some occasions. In short, the author took pains in developing her character, as with the rest of the cast. Outside of the editing miscues I mentioned above, the author clearly had talent. I couldn't have asked for a better book to get over the reading slump I've been on lately.

But. But.

Just when I was wholly vested in the story, I was clobbered with the most irritating, unforgivable story arc that I just could no longer stomach. LOVE TRIANGLE HELL.

"Yeah. But Charlie," I said. "I mean, if I was truly in love with Alex, I wouldn't still feel this way about Charlie, would I?"
(Source: Chapter 16, page 171 Destiny Binds)

Yeah. That about summed it up.

Scout's character seemed to take a turn for the worst as the story veered toward the end. All of a sudden, she was sporadic, incredibly too accepting of the fact that everyone around her were supernatural, and she'd become one of "those" girls whom I despised reading about in a book where there is a love triangle.

Would I recommend this book? Absolutely. This book was still written well even if it had flaws.This is for everyone who doesn't detest love triangles. Tammi Blackwell's Timberwolves series is an honest-to-goodness fantastic read. Unfortunately, the love triangle killed it for me.
15 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Destiny Binds.

03/13/2012 page 54
23.28% "Score! So far, so good :)" 5 comments
03/14/2012 page 91
39.22% "Really, really enjoying this book :)"
03/14/2012 page 147
63.36% "*mumblesfreakinglovetrianglemumbles*"
03/15/2012 page 171
73.71% ">.<"
03/15/2012 page 171
73.71% "There are 52 pages left. I'm too disappointed to continue."

message 1: by ~Tina~ (new)

~Tina~ That about covers it o.o

Joy (joyous reads) ~Tina~ wrote: "That about covers it o.o"

Lol. Yeah, I guess I really don't need to say more. :)

Lisa OH NO! So sad that you did not like this one. I was heartbroken with the ending but Book 2 (if you read it) will surprise you.

Joy (joyous reads) Lisa wrote: "OH NO! So sad that you did not like this one. I was heartbroken with the ending but Book 2 (if you read it) will surprise you."

I was speechless by the time I finished. Mad. Furious. Sad. I just wanted to throw the book across the room (I didn't!). I'm so disappointed that I don't think I could stomach reading the second book :(

Lisa All I can say is it gets better. It did for me. I guess the love triangle did not bother me much because of book 2. It really does not exist after book 1.

Joy (joyous reads) Lisa wrote: "All I can say is it gets better. It did for me. I guess the love triangle did not bother me much because of book 2. It really does not exist after book 1."

Eeep! Fine! you've got me convinced. I'll give the second book a whirl.

Wendy Darling I kinda feel like what you have there says it all.

Sanette I have to agree with Wendy in your description. Great synopsis, disappointing book and horrible ending for me. I was hoping for a miracle in book #2 but after reading reviews I'm afraid I will be even more disappointed.

Joy (joyous reads) :) That seems to be the general consensus!

message 10: by Lisa (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lisa Great review!

Joy (joyous reads) Thank you, Lisa :)

message 12: by McKinsey (new) - added it

McKinsey This is an absolutely great review. Thank you for putting your opinion out there.

message 13: by hemazy (new)

hemazy percy plz tell me wt happens in the end?

Joy (joyous reads) This is an unremarkable book so I can't really remember how it ended, to be honest.

message 15: by Jayden (new)

Jayden a bit random but.. indie gold?

Joy (joyous reads) Angelfall by Susan Ee. Indie gold. Self published, very successful. Well-written and loved by many.