Max's Reviews > Dead and Alive

Dead and Alive by Dean Koontz

Jan 31, 12

bookshelves: mystery-thriller
Read from January 25 to 31, 2012

I'm going to go ahead and call this book pretty disappointing. Koontz is an incredibly writer. His prose flows however he wants it to, and he's able to offer depth to elements like rain and cars. It really is amazing. It almost makes up for the fact that the plot and characters of this book were pretty horrific...almost.

I stood by the plot for the first 2 books because I had faith that it would resolve in some awesome ball of fire that would make everything worth it. I was wrong. The book keeps building and building towards this epic climax of awesomeness, but then it just sort of fizzles away.

All of the interesting characters are relegated to secondary roles. The book rotates around a group of characters that are completely unlikable and have no depth whatsoever. There are a few interesting parts as people start going crazy and running around naked, but there are others where it feels like the author couldn't really tie things together, so he just said that they were tied together.

Since I borrowed this series from a friend, I have the 4th and 5th books standing by (apparently, these were added after the fact because everything indicates that the 3rd book was supposed to be the end of the series), but I'm not so sure that I'm going to read them anymore. Overall, this was a series that showed a ton of promise but ended with a pretty resounding thud.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dead and Alive.

01/26/2012 page 18