Jessi's Reviews > The Fault in Our Stars

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

Feb 28, 13

bookshelves: contemporary-fiction, teen, romance, audiobook, 2013-favorites
Read in February, 2013

March 2012 - This is one of those books that is just so amazing that there aren't any words. It has two amazing characters - the type that come to life in your imagination and you feel as if you know them and you love them almost as if they are your true friends. It has an achingly sweet romance with moments of realistic clarity that acknowledge the realities and fluctuations of love. The story took me to a city that I knew next to nothing about other than Anne Frank and legalized drug use and enchanted me so that now I can't wait for a chance to see Amsterdam. It is also the third book that I have recently listened to featuring a character for whom breathing is a painful chore rather than something you are not even aware of doing. All of these have made me stop and take several deep breaths and enjoy the simple pleasure of oxygen come easily into my lungs. My advice to you: Breathe in. Then Breathe out. Then go read this book and enjoy.

Update February 2013 - I rarely reread, usually from fear that the book won't live up to my fond memories. I broke that rule because my book group is reading this one. I was amazed by how much I loved it the second time around. This one will surely stand the test of time.

1 like · likeflag

Quotes Jessi Liked

John Green
“I'm in love with you," he said quietly.

"Augustus," I said.

"I am," he said. He was staring at me, and I could see the corners of his eyes crinkling. "I'm in love with you, and I'm not in the business of denying myself the simple pleasure of saying true things. I'm in love with you, and I know that love is just a shout into the void, and that oblivion is inevitable, and that we're all doomed and that there will come a day when all our labor has been returned to dust, and I know the sun will swallow the only earth we'll ever have, and I am in love with you.”

John Green
“What a slut time is. She screws everybody.”

John Green
“The world is not a wish-granting factory.”

05/05 marked as: romance