Jane's Reviews > A Lasting Impression

A Lasting Impression by Tamera Alexander

Jan 08, 12

Read in January, 2012

Where I got the book: my local library.

Claire longs to be recognized for her artistic talent, but her father and his business partner force her to forge paintings. A move to Nashville gives Claire the chance for a new start, and she begins to fall for Sutton. But her past is still unresolved.

My pointer was hovering between three and four stars for this review. Let's start with the 4-star side: I did get caught up in the story by the time I got to the last hundred pages of the book. The plot was nicely constructed, and I found myself wanting to like the characters.

On the 3-star side, having read a few inspirational romances I am beginning to long for a different character arc. Enough with the feisty yet submissive heroine with a secret, who longs for God to be real but has Doubts. My other gripe was that I like my historical reading to ring true; this was the Hallmark TV show version of post-war America, with a picture-perfect setting, handsome men and beautiful women, and Gone With the Wind-style former slaves who are fiercely loyal to ex-Massah.

I found Alexander's prose style a little heavy on the adjectives and the whole breathless-admiration-of-anything-European never sits well with me, probably because I'm European myself and not easily impressed by a bit of French. And this is a good illustration of how reviews are subjective; to some people this kind of glossy detail is food for the imagination. So I will end by recommending this book to readers who love to be transported to a movie-set world, and the four stars stay.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Lasting Impression.