Jason's Reviews > A Child Called "It"

A Child Called "It" by Dave Pelzer

Jan 06, 12

bookshelves: for-kindle, 2012, flames-on-the-side-of-my-face
Read in January, 2012

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Child Called "It".

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Brigid (new)

Brigid Badly written or bad subject matter?

Jason Badly written. =(

Melanie I actually like this one even though some of it was tough to get through reading-wise (not topic-wise). Maybe because it was at a time that I was going through S#*T and wished someone would notice. But the two sequels were even more badly written and I barely got through them...I'm not even sure if I finished the last one. Last I heard was that it all came out that he made the whole thing up for the book. It's one thing to write a story like this but to try to pass it off as a true, it-happen-to-me story kind of pisses me off.

Jason I think that might have been what I didn't like about reading it--it FELT disingenuous. It made no real explanation for why the mother behaved the way he says she did, and it didn't even feel like a narrative. It felt like Pelzer was at band camp: "Oh, and then this OTHER time, I was at blah blah blah..."

Melanie Like I said, I liked it at the time I read it (high school) but when I found out he made that whole thing up...... His poor mother. Anyways, don't bother reading the next one. It's the same "poor me" "band camp" idea...this foster home hated me, this one hated me ect, ect ect

message 6: by Grace Sicile (new)

Grace Sicile Thank god someone else who did not like this book. Blah, blah, sad, weird but not in a good way. Highly recommended to me by a good friend. Oh well.