Julene's Reviews > The Poetics of Space

The Poetics of Space by Gaston Bachelard

Jun 28, 2008

bookshelves: about-writing
Recommended to Julene by: Wom-Po
Recommended for: poets, writers, creatives
Read in August, 2008

So much space to explore! It was a long journey to finish this book. There is so much to digest. It is a book to read at various times to remind us of how we might experience this world through our senses and the places we dwell. Live in a house? Collect shells? Ever hide in a closet? Go through your mother's drawers? Get sent to a corner? Been without shelter? What are the deeper meanings to the places in our history. What sequestered metaphors are in your secret walls? Questions that go unanswered hidden away in attics, buried in basements, or in the bird nests of the wild.

Some lines from the book:
This is a, "phenomenological study of the intimate values of inside space..."
Forms are manifested in poems that do not pass through the circuits of knowledge.
From Jean Lescure, "...a man's work stands out from life to such an extent that life cannot explain it."
All values must remain vulnerable, and those that do not are dead.
It is better to live in a state of impermanence than in one of finality.
Intimacy needs the heart of a nest.
But every secret has its little casket.... A secret is a grave.
One must live to build ones house, and not build ones house to live.
But an empty shell, like an empty nest, invites day-dreams of refuge.
Immensity is within ourselves.

Below is a story I loved, it reminds me of a lesson my partner taught me years ago; to gaze at a small patch of grass and roots, the underbrush of a bush and imagine being minature and living there. I've used this as a break from the intensity of living in a city.
"Leonardo da Vinci advised painters who lacked inspiration when faced with nature, to contemplate with a reflective eye the crack in an old wall! For there is a map of the universe in the lines that time draws on these old walls. And each of us has seen a few lines of the ceiling that appeared to chart a new continent."

This book opens us up inside out. He uses poets like Rilke and Andre Breton, Baudelaire, many artists and philophers. It is a book to savor and read again.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Poetics of Space.