Lisa Bouchard's Reviews > The Neon Rain

The Neon Rain by James Lee Burke

4194724
Jan 12, 12

Read in January, 2012

I read this book because I was looking for a dark, gritty detective story and that's exactly what I got.

Burke's writing is very good and at times are poetic in its beauty.

Robicheaux (the detective) has an appreciation for life that seems incongruous with the deep despair he plunged into in this book.

At the end of the book I was left with more despair than hope because Robicheaux didn't 'win the day', but then again, he didn't 'lose the day' either. The stalemate between good and evil seemed to be the worst possible outcome because I could not revel in his success, nor do I feel the need to read the next novel in the series in the hopes that he will win the day in that book. Robicheaux retreated, left the battle to others and left me wondering why I cared about him.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Neon Rain.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

I love James Lee Burke's books. I've read them all. I like books where the author follows the same character. Have you read any of Micheal Conelly's Harry Borsch books? Then there are the frest new authors who follow the same characters like: Larry LaVoie, Claude Bouchard, Timm Ellis and me.

message 2: by Paul (new)

Paul I recommend you check out Simon R Green's Nightside series. This is a series I love that gives you the dark detective story and makes you want to keep reading. I just got the most recent one (#10) I think, and I am still chomping for more!

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Is he a goodreads author? Right now I'm only reading the fresh new authors I'm finding on twitter and goodreads.