Demi's Reviews > Lightmasters: Number 13

Lightmasters by M.G. Wells

Feb 23, 12

bookshelves: young-adult, mg-wells, adventure, mystery, magic
Read from February 13 to March 01, 2012

Lightmasters was a very different book for me. After a short stint in Jessica's real world, she does her best to adapt to living with her quirky grandparents. At first, the grandparents seemed like complete old farts--literally. Later in the story, their personalities revealed something more.

After the first chapter, Jessica was abruptly transported to a strange, alternate dimension called the Otherworld. Here, Jessica endured many challenges and was tested vigorously. The characters in the Otherworld were so interesting and diverse. Her adventure in this world was so well described and also somewhat puzzling. Regardless, it held my attention.

Upon her return to the real world, her reality is turned upside down. She feels and senses things for which she is unprepared. She sees her classmates and teachers morph into horrible monsters and fears for her life. It's clear Jessica feels extremely uncomfortable in her new skin. She experiences bizarre dreams, discovers her worst enemy is her half brother and comes face to face with a monster that feeds off human fear. This intense one-on-one encounter sends her running to the security of a life she once felt before her parents unfortunate death.

Although the the author glossed over her parents death and the mother's involvement with the alien monster, I still found myself eager to know more. I agree with some of the other reviewers that this is a book that encourages you to think about the power of thoughts and the complexities of life. I really enjoyed Lightmasters and strongly feel the author needs to write another. It was very unique, and I would like to know more about these characters.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lightmasters.