Erin Kippen's Reviews > Die Trying: One Man's Quest to Conquer the Seven Summits

Die Trying by Bo Parfet

Jan 07, 12

Read from January 06 to 07, 2012

** spoiler alert ** Another book where I enjoyed the subject but hated the author. Bo Parfet is a douche with a criminal lack of self awareness. He talks a lot about getting his ego in check but doesn't actually seem to make any progress on it. For example on his first trip to Kili he a) forces his partner to go slower because he can't keep up and b) only makes it when Richard, another teammate, shares his drink because Bo was severely underprepared for this trip. Two climbs later he spends the whole trip bitching and moaning about how slow Richard is (yes, the same Richard who helped him out) and how he's ruining his climb. Never seems to sense the irony in it. He also spends a LOT of time highlighting situations where somebody made a decision and he corrected them or said to do something different and it was a very good thing he did that because he turned out to be right. He talks a lot about how important it is for him to make really good friends, not the everyday fluffy not-real friends, but doesn't seem like a great friend back - a lot of "jokes" about how cheap Doc is, and he ropes two other friends into the trip to Vinson (one who is seriouly unprepared for the trip) so that he can get a cheap rate. Plus on that trip to Vinson the guide he's hired tells one of his friends to turn around, as he's struggling and is unprepared for the climb, and Bo tells him to keep going, putting both the friend and the guide at risk.

I wouldn't recommend this book. I only finished it because I hoped Bo would have an epiphany about what an ass and spend the last 100 pages apologizing to his friends and family.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Die Trying.

01/06/2012 page 119
46.0% "Another book in which I like the subject matter but hate the writer. Bo Parfet strikes me as a real ass."
01/06/2012 page 119
46.0% "Another book in which I like the subject but hate the writer. Bo Parfet strikes me as a real ass. I wonder who was able to talk him out of his clearly preferred title "All the Times I was Smarter and Better than You and Everybody""